Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
laptop 15-bw067sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have had problem signing in to 3 year old HP laptop, the windows 10 sign-in box appears, cursor flashes for 5 seconds then freezes. Unable to input pin, tried sign-in option for password, cursor also freezes. Have tried rebooting and usual options to reset/trobleshoot but notyhing happens. Returned under care plan to Currys, got it back yesterday, they reinstalled and updated operating system, updated BIOS, ran system checks. I have run all windows updates, reinstalled McAfee and Office, nothing else. It worked fine yesterday after this, switched off and on many times. Switched on today and exactly the same problem. Any ideas before I revisit Currys? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@balernodave

I recommend you send in the computer for repair as you are unable to access any function keys to troubleshoot further.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@balernodave

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Please run an Extensive System Test and check if the Notebook shuts off

- Shut down the Notebook completely
- Turn it back on, then tap the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup menu screen is displayed.
- Press F2 to select System Diagnostics.
- Click System Tests, then click Extensive Test.

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks KrazyToad. I tried this when the problem first arose following advice from Currys TeamKnowhow. However shutting down (with or without the left shift key held down) then turning back on pressing Esc key (or other suggested F keys etc) resulted only in the sign-in screen reappearing and freezing up. I have not been able to access the diagnostics at any point afetr trying this. Currys are now suggesting that the virus protection software is causing conflict and have the notebook back for repair!

HP Recommended

@balernodave

I recommend you send in the computer for repair as you are unable to access any function keys to troubleshoot further.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.