Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop Model 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased a new HP Laptop 15-bs194od and note that the drive is already partitioned with drive "C" (Windows) and  "D" (Recovery).

Over the years on all my computers I have used drive "D" for my file storage, i.e. Data.   Can I redesignate the Recovery drive to another drive letter?

If so, is there anything I need to do to ensure that recovery data is targetted to the new drive letter?

Thanks

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Files in the recovery partition are not updated- it returns the machine to factory settings. HP Recovery Manager actually offers an option to remove the recovery partition which I think would be the cleanest way to get rid of it and then use the space however you wish.

In the search bar next to Start button begin typing HP Recovery Manager. It should appear at the top of list. Open it and look in last column under Maintenance for the option to remove recovery partition.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@i75Dave wrote:

... Can I redesignate the Recovery drive to another drive letter?

@i75Dave

No, this will destroy the Recovery process when you need it because it only know 😧

But you can create a Recovery set, keep it at a SAFE place. After that, you can Remove D:, not recommended but ok.  

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks Banhein, I just want to have a better understanding of the HP Recovery data process before taking any action.

Is the Recovery data dynamic - in other words, is it updated on a regular basis so that a recovery operation returns the computer to the most recent status ... or does it reinstate the original factory delivered status?

I made a set of HP recovery discs when I purchased the computer as well as taking a Macrium Reflect image of the hard drive.  Every Saturday night I write a Macrium full disk image supported by daily incremental Macrium Restore images.  These "backups" allow me to restore the computer to the previous day's operational status at any time.

It works, I recently had to restore another computer which had a dead internal drive, to its previous day's working status

So again, with these backup procedures, I suspect I can delete the data on Drive D and re-partition the drive to use D as a data partition.

HP Recommended

Files in the recovery partition are not updated- it returns the machine to factory settings. HP Recovery Manager actually offers an option to remove the recovery partition which I think would be the cleanest way to get rid of it and then use the space however you wish.

In the search bar next to Start button begin typing HP Recovery Manager. It should appear at the top of list. Open it and look in last column under Maintenance for the option to remove recovery partition.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Many thanks CherylG - the perfect answer and completely solves my problem.

Cheers,

Dave

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.