Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion G6-1d21dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I've searched HP's support site, but I don't see any drivers for any OS available for my model, the Pavilion g6-1d21dx.

I did a clean install of Windows 10, but the Wi-Fi button doesn't work. Apparently there is a driver called HP Wireless Button Driver that I need to install. When I do a Google search for it, there is a link to an HP download page, but the link appears to be dead.

Is HP not allowing us to download drivers anymore? This is frustrating, because getting drivers should be simple and easy.

Can someone please tell me where I can get this and any other drivers I might need after doing a clean install of Windows 10?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Okay, I think I've solved the problem. The first time I did a clean install of Windows 10, I didn't have an Ethernet cable connected to the computer. That led to all kinds of problems, including a total lack of Internet access and some devices not being installed correctly. Next, I reformatted the SSD and cloned my old hard drive, but that resulted in very slow performance, and I would get errors every other time I booted the computer (unexpected_store_exception, inaccessible_boot_device , and kernel_data_input_error). Also, the hard drive I cloned was running the 64-bit version of Windows 10, and I wanted to try the 32-bit version as I want to use some old software that will not run on 64-bit Windows 10 (for example, the Oxford SuperLex 3-in-1 Spanish, French and German dictionary).

Last night I did another clean install of the 32-bit version, but with a network cable attached. This time, after installing and updating Windows, all of my devices seem to be installed and working properly. This includes the Synaptics touchpad, the HP wireless button, the AMD Radeon display adapter and the Realtek card reader. I didn't need to install anything myself, and the Device Manager doesn't show any unknown devices. Also, installation finished MUCH faster with the network cable connected.

Conclusion: If you are clean-installing Windows 10, I strongly recommend that you do so with a network cable attached so that you will have Internet access when it is needed during the installation. With the cable attached, both my wired network and my Wi-Fi network were detected during the installation. Without a network cable attached, even my Wi-Fi was not accessible during installation.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

No, it is still alive:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_123643_1

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

So it is--thank you. For some reason Chrome was having trouble accessing that page, no matter how many times I reloaded. I had to select "Check firewall and proxy" to get it to load the page.

HP Recommended

However, the HP Wireless Button Driver did not help me at all. Under Windows 10, all it does is turn airplane mode on and off, which doesn't accomplish much when the network adapters (LAN and WiFi) are not working. Can someone please tell me where I can find the drivers needed to install the devices for a Pavilion g6-1d21dx after a clean installation of Windows 10.

I believe these should include the following devices, and possibly others:

Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

AMD Radeon HD 6520G (display adapter)

HP HD Webcam [Fixed]

Realtek PCIE CardReader

Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

AMD High Definition Audio Device

CyberLink WebCam Virtual Driver

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

AMD IO Driver

AMD SMBus

Thanks in advance for any help.

HP Recommended

Please ensure you have updated the BIOS to sp59790.exe (Version F.48 / Nov 20, 2012) prior to upgrading to Windows 10. As HP doesn't support this model with Windows 10, it may be difficult to find all the necessary to provide full functionality of the hardware. Lastly, please provide the Windows "HardwareIDs" (just the text string will do) for the all the unknown and/or missing devices, as shown in the example below;

device manager.png

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

lasvegaswireman, thank you for the reply. My BIOS version is F.49, which I assume is newer than F.48. Do I need to overwrite it with F.48?

Thanks again for your help.

HP Recommended

Does anyone know if my BIOS version F.49 is newer than version F.48, which seems to be listed as the newest BIOS for this model? In my BIOS I don't see a release date for version F.49; is there someplace I can look for the release date? Thank you.

HP Recommended

BIOS F.49 should be newer than F.48 and should contain all previously released code. Again, please provide the Windows "HardwareIDs" (just the text string will do) for the all the unknown and/or missing devices, as shown in the example below;

device manager.png

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Okay, I think I've solved the problem. The first time I did a clean install of Windows 10, I didn't have an Ethernet cable connected to the computer. That led to all kinds of problems, including a total lack of Internet access and some devices not being installed correctly. Next, I reformatted the SSD and cloned my old hard drive, but that resulted in very slow performance, and I would get errors every other time I booted the computer (unexpected_store_exception, inaccessible_boot_device , and kernel_data_input_error). Also, the hard drive I cloned was running the 64-bit version of Windows 10, and I wanted to try the 32-bit version as I want to use some old software that will not run on 64-bit Windows 10 (for example, the Oxford SuperLex 3-in-1 Spanish, French and German dictionary).

Last night I did another clean install of the 32-bit version, but with a network cable attached. This time, after installing and updating Windows, all of my devices seem to be installed and working properly. This includes the Synaptics touchpad, the HP wireless button, the AMD Radeon display adapter and the Realtek card reader. I didn't need to install anything myself, and the Device Manager doesn't show any unknown devices. Also, installation finished MUCH faster with the network cable connected.

Conclusion: If you are clean-installing Windows 10, I strongly recommend that you do so with a network cable attached so that you will have Internet access when it is needed during the installation. With the cable attached, both my wired network and my Wi-Fi network were detected during the installation. Without a network cable attached, even my Wi-Fi was not accessible during installation.

HP Recommended

UPDATE: I've now had Windows 10 (32-bit) running on this computer for about two weeks. It is fast, and I've found that my old software runs better under 32-bit Windows 10 than it did under 32-bit Vista or 64-bit Windows 7. Overall, I'm impressed! This G6 still has one annoying problem, though--under power options you have to disable fast startup, otherwise whenever the computer powers up you get a BSOD and a restart. Usually the error is unexpected_store_exception but I also got kernel_data_inpage_error a couple of times. Also, the machine can't resume from sleep or hibernate--it seems to go into sleep mode and hibernate mode successfully, but then when you try to resume it spins its wheels for a little while and then just reboots, usually without an error message. Even under its original Windows 7 though this machine has always had trouble with sleep and hibernation. This is a problem that in my opinion HP should have addressed a long time ago, but oh well. I have seen some posts that attribute this to a driver incompatibility with the newest BIOS; apparently some people have solved this problem by going back to an older BIOS. I have BIOS version F.49 even though the newest available version on HP's website is now F.48. Maybe installing F.48 would fix the problem, but how am I supposed to know if HP hasn't provided the information. For now, I think I'll just leave fast startup disabled and remove sleep and hibernate from the power menu.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.