Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I previously had to reinstall Windows 10 through their Media Tool. Of course, it erased all of HP from my laptop. 

I now do not have the Recovery Manager installed. I ordered and have in my possesion, the HP Recovery Kit USB.

When I go to install it, going through the motions of restart with USB drive, I get a blank screen with a small little line at the left hand top corner and nothing happens. I have tried entering the BIOS and selecting USB PIN and hitting ENTER and get the same screen....BLANK.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Usually the secure boot option can be located under the boot options and with the boot order section of the BIOS on many HP Computers. 

Please remember to select the answer

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Are you sure that you are selecting the correct USB drive?  Have you tried turning off Secure Boot and seeing if the USB boot then?

HP Recommended

Probably not, since I do not know how to turn it off.

Could you explain in detail what I have to do ?

HP Recommended

Probably not, since I have no idea how to turn Secure Boot off.

Please explain in detail how to do this.

I only have two ports for USB on my ENVY laptop and one is taken by my mouse.

I did notice in the BIOS page when I entered, where you can change how the PC boots and the little arrow that moves up and down so you can choose how to boot works. But I noticed a FIXED green arrow that does not move with the movements of my arrow and when i have the USB with my arrow on booting from there, the green arrow stays on booting normal and when I restart, that's what it does....boots normal.

Sorry, Might be hard to follow this.

Awaiting your response to Secure Boot

HP Recommended

Usually the secure boot option can be located under the boot options and with the boot order section of the BIOS on many HP Computers. 

HP Recommended

OK. I'll give it a look.

It's not that I really need it right now. My laptop is running fine, but I need to find out if this works if ever I need to reinstall with my USB backup. I also have the HP Recovery Kit USB which I ordered because I had to reinstall Windows 10 a while back and lost all my HP programs I had installed.

HP Recommended

You are absolutly right! The Secure Boot was on, I assume from factory. I had no idea that HP did that nor did I know anything about any Secure Boot. Must be something new because my HP 620 laptop I still have with Windows 7 does not. 

Thank you for all your help and knowledge. I chatted with an agent from HP a couple of days ago and he had no idea. 

Thanks again. I'm set to go.

Richard

HP Recommended

Secure Boot was a thing that was released when Windows 8 was released and it is a feature designed to stop malware from changing your master boot record on the hard drive and to prevent unauthorized operating systems from booting on the computer.  And Yes all computer that ship with Windows these days have Secure Boot on and i believe Microsoft requires it if they are running anything newer then Windows 7.   All Windows 7 machines will either have secure boot off or won't have the option at all.

HP Recommended

Dban would also no load on my laptop so I have reset the boot config in Bios and also turned on Legacy boot.
The solution is in the Bios - press F9 why booting to be able to select the USB drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.