Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY x360 15m-dr1012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Even with all apps closed, CPU runs at 30-40%, and is consuming over 60% of memory (12GB).  In Task Manager, the "System" process is using almost all that CPU, and shows power usage as Very High.   If I reboot, the problem will go away, but invariably comes back, even if I just reboot the system and leave it alone.    Everything is up to date, including windows update and HP Support Assistant.  I already had to replace the fan once on this unit, and with two months left under warranty, would like to get this thing running right before it expires.

Thanks,

Jim

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@racerjim 

Are you sure Windows Update is up to date? Type "winver" (without the quotes) into the search area.  If it does not say Windows 10 version 19041.508, it is NOT up to date -- and that process demand is Windows Update trying to force it to be up to date.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  I am running the version noted below.  

I rebooted this morning and have had Task Manager running.  I'm trying to see if some particular app is causing the problem, but so far this morning, the device is behaving well,, sitting below 10% utilization if I'm not doing anything.  Maybe I scared it into submission.... 🙂   Will post again if I find the culprit.

HP Recommended

Just an update.  The system ran as expected for the day on Tuesday, but when I woke it up this morning (Wednesday), it started running at 40% CPU usage consistently.  So something happened overnight, but I don't know what.   I do know that updates come in on Tuesdays, but Windows Update says all up to date as of 6:47AM this morning (which was before I woke the computer up)

HP Recommended

Just as an update, I'm still having this issue.  The "System" process will be running at 20-40% CPU for no apparent reason.  If I reboot, the "system'" process behaves more like I expect, and the CPU will run at less than 10% capacity.  But after some time passes, hours, or even days sometimes, it reverts back.  I notice it because the fan on the laptop is running when I start working in the morning.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.