Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am looking forward to buying the Elitebook 840 G7 (i7, 8 gb ram, 256 gb ssd) and I have one question:

Is there a boot menu? Is it easy to install Linux Ubuntu?

I am not an expert, I just want to try out Ubuntu.

Please help me.

-Hans

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You can get to the boot menu F9 by using this method.

Start tapping the Esc key BEFORE starting the PC and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows. Then pickF9 from that popup menu.

There you will see the various items to boot from, assuming there are boot-able items, IE: USB flash drive, DVD, another hard drive, or possibly a media card.

You can tryout Ubuntu Linux on a DVD or USB flash drive using the "live" version

Here is the explanation for a Live version and the directions to make it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

That way you can see if you like it before installing.  Then if you think you would like it enough to install, you can use that same media.

BTW: I use the live version for testing and special editing when Windows just will not "fill the bill"

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You can get to the boot menu F9 by using this method.

Start tapping the Esc key BEFORE starting the PC and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows. Then pickF9 from that popup menu.

There you will see the various items to boot from, assuming there are boot-able items, IE: USB flash drive, DVD, another hard drive, or possibly a media card.

You can tryout Ubuntu Linux on a DVD or USB flash drive using the "live" version

Here is the explanation for a Live version and the directions to make it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

That way you can see if you like it before installing.  Then if you think you would like it enough to install, you can use that same media.

BTW: I use the live version for testing and special editing when Windows just will not "fill the bill"

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

You are welcome.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.