Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 840 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My elitebook is now showing the "activate windows" watermark a few months after recovering the OS due to a software corruption, I cannot access the BIOS of the laptop as I have forgotten the BIOS password. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...

Install the free showkey plus utility from the Microsoft store.

Get ShowKeyPlus - Microsoft Store

Change the W10 Installed Key to the W10 OEM product key from the showkey plus report.

Go to settings>Update & Security>Activation>Change product key.  Enter the W10 OEM product key from the showkey plus report.

HP Recommended

It says that the key will expire soon and that I need to connect to my enterprise network despite not having an enterprise network.

HP Recommended

Somehow you ended up having W10 Enterprise and you will have to install the version of W10 the OEM product key is good for, which is probably W10 Pro.

If you can boot from a USB flash drive, use the media creation tool to create a bootable W10 installation flash drive and W10 will install the OEM version that the showkey plus report indicated.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

If you can't boot from a USB flash drive because of not knowing the BIOS password, I am afraid that you are out of luck.

HP has discontinued assistance with clearing BIOS passwords.

HP Business PCs - Forgotten or Lost BIOS Password | HP® Customer Support

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.