Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart m6-k015dx S
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,

For the last 6 months, I've noticed that my cursor would not react to my directions, and wanted to pull up to the top right hand corner of the screen. Simultaneously the screen would flicker a bit, and when I would try to move the cursor to shutdown the computer, the desktop icons would also flicker when the cursor would roll over them.  This would occur randomly after my laptop would be on for about an hour or within the first 20 minutes of being turned on. The only way to get it to stop would be to hold the power button down until the laptop shut itself off.  I would turn it back on and all would be okay.  And this erratic behavior would only happen about a third of the time that I use it. 

From 6 months ago, it seems to be happening more frequently.  I know that if I could conduct a system restore  procedure to an earlier time, it might solve the issue? Problem there is my restore only goes back to three months ago.  

The other problem is I purchased this computer with a Windows 7 OS.  I then switched to a Windows 10 OS when it became available to the public.  I unfortunately never backed up my laptop after I switched to Windows 10.   As well, I deleted a few programs from my start up list hoping that it would help with a faster start up. My mistake was not noting what programs they were.

So, my guess is that I would need to start all over again, with a factory recovery? I still have not created a recovery system copy because I am fearful the "bug" I have will still be there in the copy.

Any ideas, suggestions, opinions or comments welcomed! Thanks.

Cheers!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Before performing any other recovery thingy. Try to check if you have the right drivers for your computer. Erratic mouse behaviour is fixed most of the time by going to hp support and download the driver for your mouse. I believe its synaptics. If that didnt fix the problem then update the BIOS version of your computer.

Regards

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Before performing any other recovery thingy. Try to check if you have the right drivers for your computer. Erratic mouse behaviour is fixed most of the time by going to hp support and download the driver for your mouse. I believe its synaptics. If that didnt fix the problem then update the BIOS version of your computer.

Regards

If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

HP Recommended

Greetings "ichi730",

Thank you so much for the tip on the mouse driver download. I will give it a try and see if this helps. I will let you know if the problem is solved or that I had to take the next step with bios. Fingers crossed!

Thanks much again!:smileyhappy:

Cheers!
HP Recommended

Greetings ichi730,

So, I finally had to do the bios update, and that seemed to solve the issue!!:smileyvery-happy:  My cursor is steady as she goes, so far! I've used the laptop several times a day every day since I originally posted, and no sign of an erratic cursor or screen anymore!! The mouse driver download did not work for me, but the bios update did.   Yaaaaay!!

Thanks once again!

Cheers!
HP Recommended

@konazgrl wrote:

Greetings ichi730,

So, I finally had to do the bios update, and that seemed to solve the issue!!:smileyvery-happy:  My cursor is steady as she goes, so far! I've used the laptop several times a day every day since I originally posted, and no sign of an erratic cursor or screen anymore!! The mouse driver download did not work for me, but the bios update did.   Yaaaaay!!

Thanks once again!

Hi konazgrl,

Well youre always welcome! Glad to help! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.