Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 15-bl012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I install the bios update from the HP Support Assistant, I get th error message:

Error Executing the Specified Program

"082C1F20_WIN.EXE"

And then after I click ok, it says:

sp81667

Unable to execute the specified command line!

How do I fix this?

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@kl6

Delete the task in HP SA. Go to your Support page-download and save the BIOS file. Once download is complete close all open windows and programs. Click the file to run it, answering yes if you get any questions about overwriting files from the HP SA download.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-bl000-x360-convertible-pc/13823372/mo...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I get the same error when trying to update Bios through HP Support Assistant. My machine is an HP Spectre x360 15-bl075nr

I did what you said, went to my HP support page, https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-bl000-x360-convertible-pc/13823372/mo... downloaded the installer (  0827FF20_WIN.EXE ), before that, I deleted the old one from C:\SWSetup folder, then executed the downloaded file, and I still get the same error.

Why HP Support Assistant recommends an update for a file that important as the BIOS and the file does not work?

Michael

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur Have you updated your Spectre with latest BIOS?

HP Recommended

Not being Dragon-Fur :),  yes, my machine is running BIOS F11 Rev.A (June 9, 2017), the one before this one with problems.

Mike

HP Recommended

@mikepre 

Thanks for info.Seems a little strange the BIOS version jumped from F.11 to F.20 but not unprecedented.Did you also delete the task in HP Support Assistant before downloading and running BIOS file?

@Dragon-Fur is a member of HP Experts and is using Spectre of same series I believe as her loaner/test machine this year. Was hoping she would respond on whether she has tried this BIOS version yet. Maybe tomorrow we can get some input from her.

I am using Spectre 13 AC0XX as loaner/tester this year which has different BIOS. The latest BIOS for it was June 2017. None released in July.

HP Recommended

Yes, I deleted the download task in HP Support Assistant before downloading the new one. As I mentioned, I also deleted the downloaded .exe file (by HP SA) and the decompressed one in c:\SWSetup.

Now, will have to wait for someone from HP to know how the BIOS went from F.11 to F.20 

Based on HP supprt page, F.20 gives support to Windows 10 ver 1703 (Creators Update, March 2017).

I checked with winver utility and I have Windows 10 Home 64b ver 1607 (July 2016).

I guess that's generating the error... can you confirm?

Thank you for your time

Mike

HP Recommended

Hey @CherylG

Sorry for the delay ..

Dragon Spectre x360 15-bl00x is running BIOS F11 (26-May-2017).

Have an HPSA list of several updates to be applied (not done yet). 

I will check Driver site for BIOS update.

Must be excused again -- back in a bit.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@CherylG

OK -- first downloaded and installed the UEFI update (from the Driver page) - no reason for this other than I have noted that updating the UEFI might be related to whether or not the BIOS updates as expected.  (I could be imagining the relationship.)

UEFI

sp81314.cva (datasheet)

sp81314.exe

Downloaded and attempted to install the BIOS

sp81667.cva (datasheet)

sp81667.exe

The BIOS F.20A update fails to install; it fails as described by the member:

Error executing the Specified Program

"082C1F20_WIN.EXE"

EDITS - Driver Updates have been installed

HPSA does report that Dragon6 does need a number of (unrelated) Updates.  (The UEFI was not listed -- unknown why the driver is not listed or whether the HPSA even knows to look for UEFI updates.)

HPSA List:

• HP Jumpstart
  • HP Orbit
  • Windows 10 Wallpaper - CPS
  • Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver
  • HP Recovery Manager Update
  • HP TrueVision Full HD (FHD) RGB-IR Webcam Driver
  • HP Wireless Button Driver

Noted in the sp81667.cva that this BIOS update is to add support for Version 1703.  Dragon6 is still running on Windows AU (Version 1607).   No idea whether this is related - it is doubtful since one would conceivably need the BIOS for V1703 before V1703 is installed.

Will dig at the files a bit and see if I can find anything of interest.

EDITS - Extracted BIOS exe - BIOS Updated

• Downloaded 7-zip beta (Dragon 6 did not yet have this app)
  • Copied the SP81667 file to folder SWSetup
  • Extracted the sp file to folder sp81667_BIOS_f.20Reva
  • Opened the folder - found and executed 0827FF20_WIN.exe
  • BIOS Update started, continued.. followed instructions
  • BIOS update complete:  F.20-06/29/2017

Ta-Da.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@CherylG

EDITS - Extracted BIOS exe - BIOS Updated

• Downloaded 7-zip beta (Dragon 6 did not yet have this app)
  • Copied the SP81667 file to folder SWSetup
  • Extracted the sp file to folder sp81667_BIOS_f.20Reva
  • Opened the folder - found and executed 0827FF20_WIN.exe
  • BIOS Update started, continued.. followed instructions
  • BIOS update complete:  F.20-06/29/2017

Ta-Da.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.