Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I had to post this question because non of the solutions available on the internet worked for me. Some weeks ago, my FN + Function Keys stopped working on my HP ProBook 4540s. For example, FN + F7 = MUTE.

I had updated all of my drivers, including the HP Hotkey Support driver for my laptop's model (even reinstalled); ran Keyboard Diagnostics in UEFI, everything was fine. I then decided to remap some of my keyboard keys to check if there was really a problem with my Windows and found out tthere was. Even after remapping, these combinationes weren't working. I thought to give it a try here in the forums before getting my laptopp serviced, I really don't think I need to do it because I believe there is some problem in the software like some option for this is disabled. But action keys was not even in the BIOS as others had (my BIOS was updated). Functions keys (F1-F12) were working, FN was working too but combinations aren't woking. 😞

Hope someone helps me out,

HDash_Tech

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
Dear Customer,

Welcome and Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Forum

Steps to drain the Static charge and loading default BIOS settings to resolve the issue

Step 01. Turn OFF the Notebook

Step 02. Un-plug the Power/AC Adapter and also remove the Battery too

Step 03. Press and Hold the Power Button of the Notebook for a full minute

Step 04. Now let's re-insert the battery back in and plug back the Power/AC Adapter

Step 05. Start the Notebook and keep tapping F10 Key during the startup to access the BIOS

Step 06. Once you get to the BIOS, Please press F5 Key to load setup defaults for the BIOS

Step 07. Now let's press Esc/Escape Key. Save Changes and Exit - Yes

Step 08. Now please wait till the Unit loads the Windows Operating system

Now check if the function keys are working normal if not we can try and re-install the Quick launch drivers for your Notebook

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,
K N R K
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Here is the link Quick launch Button Driver

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-104698-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Regards
KNRK
I work on behalf of HP
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for looking into my problem. I did as you said, but it didn't worked for me. Thought of reinstalling the driver you gave but the link was invalid. Please provide me with a valid link for the driver so that I can reinstall it.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Please refer to the below shown link I am thinking this might be helpful

Disable the Fn+ Function Key Combination

Regards,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I found this link for HP Quick Launch Software please check if this resolves the issue

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-104698-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Regards,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello,

For my laptop modle, Hotkey Driver driver is available, not the quick launch driver. I'm using Probook 4540s. Hotkey Driver states that it adds functionality to the FN keys but they don't work here. Also, I already had checked my BIOS, no function keys options there. 😞

HP Recommended

This really worked. I went through the steps and although I couldn't access BIOS after tapping f10 repeatedly as was stated, I still had my function keys working well after the OS loaded. Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

:smileyhappy:Your solution worked. I too could not access the BIOS even after pressing the F10 key while the system was booting but the Fn keys started working - which is all that I wanted. Thanks much and keep up the good work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.