Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi pkkh7

Please post the outcomes of your support requests. I have spent some weeks on this issue involving my HP ProBook 650 G1 and following multiple suggestions from the web - without noticeable success. I have now used microsoft software [wushowhide.diagcab] to "hide" the 1709 feature update so that the previous version runs and is updated. This avoids the "problem" on my laptop and I will return to it at some future time. I would appreciate knowing your outcomes - especially if a solution or work around emerges.

HP Recommended

An update. During January 2018 Windows Update installed two updates (January 19th and 26th) for version 1703 that claimed to facilitate the update process. Wanting to believe Microsoft could sort this out I tried each one in turn but the update still freezes at 33%. Maybe it is a 64-bit HP problem as our earlier HP (32-bit) successfully updated.

HP Recommended

I have two case for x360 Convertiable witht the same issue update from version win 10 1607 to version 1709 and always get access denied.  This article ends when he contacts hp. So what is the solution because everything else does simple not work.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problems with my ProBook 440 G3. It has 1703 but can't install 1709. 

I had an origianl issue on the install gave me an error that said it was due to the HP encryption (I think), so I went through a process to delete it. Now when I try, I don't get that error, but have a new one.

Need some help on this HP!

HP Recommended

Hi pharmacol,

I still  have no sucess.  It is  a HP issue , not microsoft,  but HP offers no support to my HP Envy 17 notebook.  I am back to Windows 7 originally installed.  Disappointed with HP.

HP Recommended

Hi Pkkh7

Thanks for your update and your conclusions. It is disappointing that HP can not find the solution to this problem that we appear to share. Win 7 is a long way to retreat.

I am staying at 1703 (build 15063.994) and setting update to the Business Channel with a 365 day deferral. With 1803 being released today I will probably try to skip over 1709 and see if 1803 will install successfully. If I find a work around I will post back here.

Regards

pharmacol

Occasionally Microsoft hijacks my ProBook and installs an Update Assistant that ignores the Update settings and begins to install 1709. I have found it best to abort that process and save hours of wasted time. The invading Assistant needs to be uninstalled from Control Panel.  It will happen again - sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

HP Recommended

Hi Pkkh7

SUCCESS – at long last!

Your work and that of others caused me to focus on the laptop drivers.

1. Installed the latest drivers from the HP Support site for my ProBook.
  2. Downloaded and installed latest Intel Graphics drivers from Intel site.
  3. Looked through setuperr.log and noted a mention of an issue with an AMD driver. From Device Manager successfully updated the only AMD driver.
  4. Found a way to update the laptop BIOS. Previously I had used the HP softpac files that ran but when checked had never succeeded in updating the BIOS. Used the network update process through the F10 BIOS menu and this was successful.
  5. Ran setup.exe from the downloaded Windows 10 ISO file (WiFi OFF; Norton OFF).

Perhaps only one of these was needed or I was just lucky.

Good Luck.

Some further updates were automatically downloaded when I restarted my Internet.

The process scrambled my Outlook 2010 settings and that needed to be sorted out.

HP Recommended

Hi pharmacol,

Congratulations on your success ! 

I did all you did before with no success.  I will try again with WiFi off this time to see any luck for me.

Thank you .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.