Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy TS 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After updating to the creator's edition of Windows 10, to get my fingerprint reader working I needed to update the driver and HP Simplepass. Now all is well except when my computer locks (not sleep) the reader remains inactive and I have to switch to PIN login. At all other times the fingerprint reader activates when required.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Following the instructed in the link, I uninstalled SimplPass. Then, I setup Windows Hello. After this step the fingerprint reader works correctly in all situations. I was using HP SimplePass for Windows authencation only so I am gong to skip reinstalling since I do not see any benefit in doing so.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Canuck_man,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with the fingerprint reader not working after the recent Windows 10 creators update.  Don't worry I'll be really glad to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details: 

Could you provide me with the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

What software are you using for the fingerprint reader?

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the finger print reader?

Meanwhile, you may download and install the HP ProtectTools Security Manager: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63727.exe

If the issue persists then please follow the steps from this from this link. Though the steps in this link are for Windows 8, they would work with Windows 10.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Following the instructed in the link, I uninstalled SimplPass. Then, I setup Windows Hello. After this step the fingerprint reader works correctly in all situations. I was using HP SimplePass for Windows authencation only so I am gong to skip reinstalling since I do not see any benefit in doing so.

HP Recommended

THE SOLUTION CONSISTS OF 3 SIMPLE STEPS.

** If you are going to use windows hello, Lastpass, and other 3rd party applications then the validity fingerprint driver that works is version 4.5.124.0. search it in google. download and install it. and then windows hello and etc will detect your fingerprint sensor.

**if you are using HP applications like protecttools or simple pass then the validity fingerprint driver that works is some other version which can be easily downloaded via windows update or from this very website. should this driver installed windows hello and other mentioned tools will NOT detect your sensor BUT you won't have any issue with your fingerprint like described in this post.

*************************************************************************************************************

Now if you have come up to use Windows Hello, etc, Sometimes you will face the issue described in this post.

the  solution is : 

1-  Create a new text file somewhere in a drive which you will not remove it by mistake later. rename it to whatever you want. but change the file type from *.txt to *.bat. 

Right- click on the batch file. Click Edit.

Copy this code and paste it there.

@echo
net stop vcsFPService
net stop valWBFPolicyService
net stop WbioSrvc

net start vcsFPService
net start valWBFPolicyService
net start WbioSrvc

Close and save it.

2- In Run or Cortana type   gpedit.msc     .in group policy go to the Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > All Settings 

and look for "use biometrics" and double click on it. Select Enabled radio-button and apply and close it.

3- open Task Scheduler window. in Task Scheduler .  in the right panel click on create task. Give your task a name.

Go to Triggers tab. Click on New . from "Begin the task" combobox > select On Workstation Lock.

Go to Actions Tab.  Click on Browse button and go to the Batch file and select it. 

Apply and Close.

THIS WORKED FOR ME.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.