Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ZBook G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I just recently purchased a refurbished ZBook G3 and had a concern over the keyboard.  You can literally see that it is bowed towards the center from each side, though not drastically, and the numbers keypad pushes down when you press on it.  Is this normal for this laptop and do you think that it is enough of a concern to send this notebook back?

Thanks for any thoughts you have.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Vanon66 

Warped keyboard MIGHT indicate a current - or past - swollen battery.

That sort of damage, if the battery swelling was severe, might have damaged other components.

Big IF - Refurbished is not the same as new - just means any broken bits have been fixed / replaced.

That said, my older Zook 17 G3 keyboard is just a hair (little bit) loose on one side. 

Beast is older now but fully loaded - I'm still a fan of my old Zbook.

If there is no warranty to worry about, open the case and take a look at what's going on inside....

Personal choice.

Might want to make sure you get something that can upgrade to Windows 11....

References / Resources

User Guide - Windows 10

Maintenance and Service Guide

HP Device Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ZBook 17 G3 Mobile Workstation 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the fast repy Dragon-Fur!

I purchased my ZBook, also a 17", from an online dealer that warrantied it with a two-year warranty from Allstate Insurance which made it an Ebay Certified Refurbished laptop.  This is the primary reason why I went ahead and bought this laptop.  

So needless to say, I am going through this laptop as much as I know how as it also came with a 30-day return policy.  So, regardless of it having a two-year warranty, I want to send it back now if it is showing any signs of long term problems as my warranty requires that it be sent back to the seller to be fixed, leaving me with no laptop.

And since you mentioned a current or past swollen battery, let me ask you this.  My ZBook charging light is always white regardless of the state of the battery.  As you know, this light should turn orange, as did my past HP laptops, when the battery level falls below 90%.  This has raised an eyebrow with me as possibly an indication that there is something wrong.  What are your thoughts?

As far as the ZBook itself is concerned, I really like it and can live with a bit of a bowed up keyboard.  That is not a deal breaker to me as long as everything else is working.  

That being said though, I have both the F5 & F6 light keys not working, but, again,  that also doesn't seem to me to be a deal breaker unless that is also indicative of more problems. 

As a side note, this ZBook will not charge with either of my external battery packs/power banks such as the one I have from HP that I have been using with my HP Envy 360 Convertible and also my Maxoak power bank.  Have you had any experience with using external power banks with yours?

HP Recommended

@Vanon66 

You are welcome.

You can test the battery (and other components).

If the battery is newer, it might be able to be calibrated.

If it is the original (possible - these long life batteries tend to be tough little beasts), it is time to replace it.

Expect to purchase a "compatible" battery - I think I purchased mine at Amazon.  ?

===============================================

Information / Tests

Testing the hardware using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)

>>>  Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10)    <<<

Battery Alert Messages – What to do and FAQ

HP Notebook PCs - HP Battery Alert Appears Before Windows Starts

Article that explains Smart Battery Technology  

Battery use and care, how batteries perform over time, and expected battery life

How to: Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology

Run Component Tests – How to

This section does not apply to a bloated, inflated, swollen battery.

If you know the battery is failing / has failed - skip this section.

TKB Article contributed by HP Wes_notebooks 

Clear and easy to understand "how-to" instructions for completing component testing

Testing for Hardware Failures

TKB Article contributed by HP Expert Erico

What is going on with the battery installed in my computer?

Battery Report and other solutions

Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?

And

Video Help

How To Generate A Detailed Laptop Battery Report

When my original battery (at about five years old) was replaced with a "compatible" battery,

I found that the original battery (still charging to about 73%) was slightly inflated.

No worries - replacement was reasonable and not difficult.

I am using a 200W AC Adapter (charger) - part number 815680-002

Years ago, when I had the system repaired (unrelated), HP sent back the larger charger with the unit.

Nice.  Amazon does also carry this part number as do other merchants.

The F5 / F6 is not usually a "problem" ...

Try pressing the FN key at the same time you press F5 / F6.

Could be the Graphics driver needs to be updated...

You could try installing the Hot Key driver.

Why not sure?

Since I installed 21H1, I'm not running any HP Drivers except the latest BIOS.

Everything is working so I decided to let it ride and see what happens.  All good months later...

There are exceptions, of course.  For example, I keep the HP Image Assistant updated so I can use it to help people asking questions on the subject...

No, I've not used a battery pack to try and charge the system.

That said, if you want to try it, get something that is rated to handle the huge power draw.

If you like (wish to do so),

Install the Free Version of Belarc to get a clear baseline of what is installed and which hardware is detected.

Belarc Advisor

This time when I installed it, I did need to provide my email address and indicate that the software will only be used for Personal Use.  Now, I do get the occasional email from Belarc - not a bad thing - read or spam as desired...

Yes, this has been a very nice system.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Very good information.  Thanks!

I have already ran all the HP diagnostics tests and everything passed including the battery and the battery charging system.  So then I contacted the dealer that I purchased this from this past week and asked him to check with the company that did the refurb work on this and ask them if they replaced the battery, but still I am not ruling out that the battery did swell and cause the warping of the keyboard and I may demand that he replace the battery. 

I have 30 days in which to send this laptop back for a refund and also a two-year extended warranty  from All State Insurance so I am covered, but still I want to start off with everything operating properly. 

I will keep you posted on things.  Again, thanks for all the great information.  I really appreciate it!

HP Recommended

@Vanon66 

You are welcome.

You have the information you need...

So - decision time.

Good Luck.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.