Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6809WM
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hi,

I have an old Pavilion dv6809wm laptop running 32 bit Vista premium. HP was runnning a Windows 7 upgrade program for this laptop but does not accept orders for this program anymore. Is  there a LEGAL way for me to get this disc and do the free upgrade now? ie....download an iso, ect.....

Thanks,

RoDnSuE

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RoDnSuE

You are welcome.

I am sorry you can no longer get free Windows 7.

Perhaps this is a good excuse to look in the budget for a new computer:  Lots of choices with new tech that supports / comes-with Windows 10.

If your needs are modest, you can buy a new notebook for a small investment.  (Of course, more money = higher cpu power, more disk space, more memory, better WiFi, and more overall flexibility.)

No, I don't work for HP (nor anyone else) -- I just like tech and toys.  Smiling.

Happy Computing!

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@RoDnSuE

The Windows 7 Upgrade program has been closed for years, sorry.

Amazon appears to sell Windows 7.

If you install Windows 7 and then decide to migrate to Windows 10 (without the benefit of HP Drivers), the Windows 10 "free" upgrade period is drawing to a close -- decide soon.

Fixed / Answered? Click Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I knew the upgrade program had ended, but was hoping for a possibility of downloading the cd since HP doesn't provide it anymore. I guess I will stay with Vista since this computer is going to be used in a dedicated (non-internet) use anyway.

HP Recommended

@RoDnSuE

You are welcome.

I am sorry you can no longer get free Windows 7.

Perhaps this is a good excuse to look in the budget for a new computer:  Lots of choices with new tech that supports / comes-with Windows 10.

If your needs are modest, you can buy a new notebook for a small investment.  (Of course, more money = higher cpu power, more disk space, more memory, better WiFi, and more overall flexibility.)

No, I don't work for HP (nor anyone else) -- I just like tech and toys.  Smiling.

Happy Computing!

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks but this is an old computer that I purchased for $30 USD for a particular use. I'm going to use it with an RTL-SDR receiver as a police scanner. (offline use)  I guess Vista will have to do if I can ever get the Windows update funtion to work.

Thanks,

RoDnSuE

HP Recommended

@RoDnSuE

Good enough, then!

Assuming there are still Windows Updates for Vista, the following might be useful (depends on what is preventing the Updates from working):

Updates – When and How

This section might be relevant to Vista:

Set Windows Update Notification Icon (Windows 7)

From your computer's Troubleshooting Section:

Error 80070020 Displays When Using Windows Update

In general, if you find something of interest in the computer's Drivers, Troubleshooting, How-to, or User Guide section, I strongly suggest you download and save the information.

System:

HP Pavilion dv6809wm Entertainment Notebook PC

Depending on the vintage, this information may /will disappear at some point.

"Grab and save."

Good Luck!

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.