Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion 14-ba073tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

from last few days,I am getting "Inaccessible boot device" error at startup.Sometimes the system perform an auto recovery and boots successfully.Sometimes it gets failed and I have to manually go the advanced troubleshooting (by pressing F11 after ESC) and do a "startup repair".In that case also,sometimes it is able to repair,sometime it restores and I can boot successfully.

In addition, I got "Hard drive short DST check fail" 1 month before and it was automatically got cleared.This time, THE HARD DRIVE SHORT DST CHECK IS PASSED EVERY TIME.

So what is causing the issue?Is it the HDD or a corrupted file in the Boot drive.I also ran CHKDSK several times after the system boots properly but no error found in any case!!Please help.....

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Sharanya_Das

Please backup ALL your files first then try the following fix

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-update-causing-inaccessible-boot-device-error-windows-10

Hope this helps.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I would like to know one thing.

How to make sure that this particular October update is causing the issue?Because this is Jan2018 and Microsoft should have already fixed it(As i can understand from reading on the internet).

Also i read that mostly the business enterprise machines were getting affected.I am using Home edition.

Please help....

HP Recommended

@

I have formatted the whole drive(deleted partition & recreated) and installed OS from scratch(using bootable USB created by windows10 media creation tool).

Now the Laptop is running from last 5 Hrs and restarted several times and still now,I didn't face any error!!

I have disabled the windows update by entering into Services.msc>Windows update>properties>disable.Is that all right??

Please guide....

HP Recommended

Thanks!

For almost the same proble, the solution at that link worked, with one tiny correction. (They won’t let me post it there because the thread is old.)

Our system:

New HP Elitebook 850 G4HP Elitebook 850 G4 running Windows 10 Enterprise Edition with the following hard drive.

Toshiba 512GB PCI Express PCIe SATA NVMe M.2 2280 SSD - THNSN5512GPUK

Our issue:

I was surprised to see this occur four months after the update release, but after running some updates, it prompted for automatic repair but that failed. Using command prompt, I used diskcheck and sfc scannow which found no problems, but then it began giving the following message.

"BootDevice Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk - (3F0)"

The instructions there, in step 6, have one minor typo. The second command is missing a space after the close quote, so it should actually be as follows.

reg delete "HKLM\temp\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\SessionsPending" /v Exclusive

Those experienced with command prompt would probably type the space anyway, but I just mention it in case it snags anyone besides me.

When I used the instructions to view the computer's recent updates, none were in a state of "pending" but I removed the most recent three, and the machine worked again. Two that I removed had names starting with "Package_for_RollupFix 31bf3856ad364e35" and one, called "Package _for_KB4058702" was in the status of "Superseded".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.