Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
p258nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all! 
I'm currently running Windows 10 on my pavilion 15 notebook. I want to install and SSD instead of the stock HDD.

I want to make a clean installation of Windows 10, but I would like to keep the Recovery partition made by HP that is currently on the HDD.

What's the best way  to do this? If I simply clone the recovery to the new drive will it work when I press F11 during boot?

Thank You!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Since this PC was an upgrade to Windows 10, it will activate just fine with a clean install from the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool either with a DVD or USB flash drive, as long as there is no major hardware change.  Use a working PC to make the install media and then install using that.  It might be wise to locate the needed drivers just in case Windows cannot find them all.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Since that notebook came with Windows 8.1 - according to THIS SUPPORT page, the Recovery Partition, started with the F11 during boot, is going to reinstall Windows 8.1.  If that is why the desire to still make the F11 work, then great.  Otherwise, since this Windows 10 is probably from an upgrade, the Recovery Partition is of no real value.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
Thank you TheOldMan! That's a good point, I didn't think about that, so I'll just forget about the recovery partition.
Do you have any suggestion about what's the best way ti install Windows 10 on the new drive and activate It with the current license?
HP Recommended

Since this PC was an upgrade to Windows 10, it will activate just fine with a clean install from the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool either with a DVD or USB flash drive, as long as there is no major hardware change.  Use a working PC to make the install media and then install using that.  It might be wise to locate the needed drivers just in case Windows cannot find them all.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you again! I heard that windows 10 activates automatically if the machine already had a valid license, and now that you confirmed that I'll  proceed this way. I'll make an installation device using the microsoft tool and use it to install windows 10. 

Thank you for your replies!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.