Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

This problem is still ocuring on machines I have a HP G61-110SA that has "no serial found" and will not boot after recovery. Did anyone get this fixed for the HP guys that contributed? I don't want to be lured to some malware site to fix what on the face of it is an HP problem.

All assistance greatfully recieved

HP Recommended

My HP Compaq Presario CQ71 has the same problem: No serial number, no product number, no Notebook model. These variables are empty when booting. The result is that my Windows 7 thinks it is not genuine.

How to reset the variables (S/N the P/N and the Notebook model) and get my windows working again? 

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I saw this no serial found error for the first time some six weeks ago.

I read this post, and it did not help me to the sollution.

it was a Presario CQ61 out of warranty, and after some paradoxical roundabouts with bad behaviour as result, I advised that it should not be sent to HP (too costly), so I eventually bought it for usable parts.

I don't like to give up, though.

This Laptop had zeroed MAC, zeroed serial, zeroed UUID, like you guys have wrestled with.

OK, you are with me so far?

I was an MVP for some years, and i still have technet/MSDN so I can try some things with either OEM or MSDN licences.

(I also build PC's, so I can do dry runs of OEM without activation)

The problem for people that see serial tattoo magicaly disappear from a legit HP is that their "coupled" OS stops working. A smaller problem was, that the MAC was set to zeroes, so a connected CAT5 wouls throw you invalid IP configuration once you blasted away all stuff from HDD

(or, preferably, for testing this...  did a dry run on a spare HDD)

On clean (repartitioned) HDD with a completely legitimate OTHER OS (vista, win7,even Win8), the CQ61-330SB would throw tantrums once it had done a deep sleep (restart would attempt to do a HP recovery from a missing hidden partition?)

Networking, only on wireless (because of zeroed MAC)

But, a few hours ago, I came across this post,

I did edit the batchfile (from 230 to 300)

I made that Rufus USB stick

I wondered what I would have to enter for some long string that was nowhere to be found on/in the machine... but there was an option to GENERATE it.

I had googled for valid MAC Identifiers (I knew the NIC is a realtek)

and that was what I attempted. It worked.

The guy posting the tool had valid links as of this afternoon.

http://wintegrity.blogspot.be/2012/12/how-to-fix-product-information-not.html

so, after booting from this rufus USB, I saw how one could edit the serial, enter numbers found on the  machine, the UUID, etc...

I saw where it could generate a number I could not find anywhere else, since it was the only one that showed that option.

(R for showing you what was still needed)

And for MAC, I had seen a few valid MAC vendor ID strings while I googled.

(a tool to identify vedor MAC/reverse look)

MY Search string was realtek

http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/?string=realtek

The other numbers... after it, I was gambling that anything would work.

E.G. for Broadcom, it's another HWID vendor string..

But... The BEST news was, that  I can tell you that a MAC like 0016767D00D2 also works, even while this is NOT realtek (what this CQ61 has plugged in mobo.)

So.

The tool in the blogpost works.

NOW..

If yours would use the foxcon mobo manufactor string, just change that 230 to 300 as he says, and try it.

MAC?

For me it worked with that type of MAC, and correct numbers found in and on the machine.

I hope you haven't blasted the recovery partition away yet, and that this works for you.

About the Paradox.

HP makes available winflash... and several other tools (nbdmifit 1.19 has a windows tool in it), BUT they do NOT work when you have no working OS, and they also do not work in a 64bit OS (which this laptop originally had)

So, get the tool and information for your type/model

Get that rufus, and pray for a lot of luck coming across a posting that described a batch error in the DOS based utility that ultimately did the trick.

I prefer to work on desktops for some reason?

Kind regards, Jaak

I hope this makes sense.

How to ask a Question takes a lot of learning.. And, the answer is not 42
kind regards, Jaak.
(Former MVP)
HP Recommended

Question about LOCALISATION

(to any HP guru)

Quoted from the blog (I need to set pop-up restrictions lower for this site?

[code]

<0> Serial Number = Obviosly your S/N on the back of your laptop

<1> Notebook Model= Mine was Compaq Presario Cq61 NoteBook PC.......Don't think this really matters

<2> Guid Number= This one was a B#$%H i had no clue so RANDOM FTW!!

<3> UUID Number= Select 1 to generate UUID

<4> SKU Number= It's the Product Number on the bottom Mine was WA985UA#ABA

<5> CTO Localization Code = ABA

<6> MAC Address = Agian Random....you can judge or use and get past hitting Enter everytime!

<7> PCID = Ok under the battery cover there is a Sticker....it might also be on the Motherboard.

<8> System Board CT # = i left this blank....it's a sticker on the motherboard if you want to fill it in.<not needed

[/code]

end quote

The Question is really about what that localisation code is about

I used ABA (it was blank, now it is ABA, and it works for me (In Belgium, europe)

It's not a country code like in MsDos (ours would be 850)

What does that localisation mean? 

Also..

I wondered what caused the zeroing?

Some fluke update?

The HP tool cannot "refresh" in a 64bit, but it may have tried? and zeroed out?

For any ten posts in the internet, thousands don't even know how to ask the question, and most that ask about what they see (even if relevant query was googled), do not  know where to best ask.

I no longer surf many forae, but this had to be brought to your attention, because it worked for at least a few guys.

JT. 

How to ask a Question takes a lot of learning.. And, the answer is not 42
kind regards, Jaak.
(Former MVP)
HP Recommended

dear bryan ,

i am also facing same issue. please help.

HP Recommended

Getting Product number and serial number of BIOS record is empty, when booting the computer. How can write the product number and serial number in BIOS record for Laptop compaq presario having

service tag : presario CQ40-610TU

Serial Number : [edited by Moderator]

Product Number: VQ985PA#UUF 

HP Recommended

Hi @vckhatiwoda ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I needed to edit your post and remove the Serial Number that was present. In accordace with our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you need people to contact you directly, either ask them to send you a private message or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Hello,

For anyone experiencing a "serial number not found in BIOS" issue, please contact HP phone support for assistance and a potential fix. You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: Contact HP Worldwide

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I have the same issue, but I am not posting my information here on the forum.

HP Recommended

Just incase anyone still has this issue, here is how to fix it

http://geekslab.altervista.org/hp-serial-number-not-found-solution-fix-solution/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.