Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I just bought a HP EliteBook 830 G9 and installed Ubuntu, which I really would like to use. During the installation of Ubuntu (I tried both 22.10 and 22.04 LTS), everything is fine, but as soon as it reboots after installing, when I move the cursor into the (say) 30% lower-most part of my screen, the screen freezes and shows graphical errors (like vertical lines and such), and is very slow in general, even while the rest of the screen is fine.

When e.g. watching videos, the entire screen is fine unless I move my cursor to the lowermost part of the screen. Then the refreshing frequency is very low and the video also seems to freeze/update only every seconds.

I have tried to update, reinstall drivers, and also used an alternative open source driver (Mesa), but that doesn't solve the problem.

The only thing that solves the problem is.. lowering the resolution, which is something I do not want to do, and should not have to, as the specifications say the resolution should be 1900x1200. Changing the refreshment frequency however does not solve the problem.

The output of lshw -c video is this:

```
*-display
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Alder Lake-UP3 GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       logical name: /dev/fb0
       version: 0c
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom fb
       configuration: depth=32 driver=i915 latency=0 mode=1920x1200 resolution=1920,1200 visual=truecolor xres=1920 yres=1200
       resources: iomemory:600-5ff iomemory:400-3ff irq:207 memory:603c000000-603cffffff memory:4000000000-400fffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff memory:4010000000-4016ffffff memory:4020000000-40ffffffff

```

Do you have any idea how to solve this problem and whether it is at all related to the graphics card / driver, as I seem to think?

Best regards and thank you for your efforts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.