Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I was doing a search about this issue and found a similar discussion regarding the dual band model...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-8...

Maybe what the one person suggests will work for the 3168 too.  The barebones driver file he references is also good for the 3168, and you can click on the yellow updated driver link for the most recent version.

Let me know if that works for you...

HP Recommended

Again, thank you so much. Then all the rest makes no sense if I cannot resolve this probem. I think if there is a solution you know it and since you don't know I can forget about this notebook and have to give it back. 

HP Recommended

Oh I read now your last post. I will try.

HP Recommended

I made this procedure, but no effect, the wlan-button stays with its red cross. Now I have to decide if I want win10 or my be linux or give it back

HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't work.

It seems that Intel/Microsoft doesn't want anyone to install any other OS on that platform but W10.

There is no reason I can possibly think of as to why the wifi driver doesn't work.

There must be some kind of intentional software block, because at least two other forum members with the same 250 G6 notebook, and the same wifi adapter had the same issue on W7, and when they installed W10 the wifi worked just fine.

HP Recommended

yes, I think this is the point. Unfortunatelly they have the power to force the manufactorers to accept this politics. If they cannot convince the people by making good products they force them to use the "**bleep**".

but anyway I thank you very much for your help. very kind!!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended
Hi Paul, to complete: I've installed linux mint 18.3 and everything is functioning without problems. Thanks
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Thanks for the info.

I has to be some kind of artificial block. W10 works, Linux works.  W7 doesn't work.  No reason for that.

HP Recommended

I've followed this discussion with interest - I have an HP Celeron N3060 and have been progressing Win764 on it. Not so easy, but eventually. Paul and this discussion group have been absolutely wonderfully helpful.

[The only prerequisite was to ensure the hard drive was partitioned for NTFS and not GTP.  DISKPART does that].

1) Win7 had audio drivers for this PC so sound was done during installation of Win7 (done off a legitimate, purchased MS ISO image file).

2) Paul provided the info and link to Intel's USB3 eXtended driver. This worked instantly, turning all USB ports on, and allowed access to external disks, usb drives and all the info on them.

3) The graphics is still not perfect but it works ok. Cannot find a real graphics driver for it (Intel HD Graphics 5500) but will continue to look.

4) The wireless driver proved impossible for the inbuilt adapter. As Paul and others have noted, the supposedly correct driver installs perfectly (WiFi PROset64 Win7 .... exe - Paul and others have supplied links to download) and Device Manager confirms proper installation and correct working ... but NO network recognition for it. Totally frustrating and I agree with Paul - it's a deliberate block.

Workaround - and this came from a suggestion on another forum - buy a 3rd party $20 USB network adapter and install it, making sure again you have Win7 64 drivers *before* purchase. Then disable the internal network adapter in Device Manager with *glee*. Works perfectly. I used a quite old TP Link USB2 adapter with no issues apart from first ensuring the driver was for Win7 64.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.