Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

To remove the BIOS passwords you need to short the 2 contacts marked RTC RESET.

Remove the memory cover.

Look for the 2 contacts between wireless card and memory.

P6050019 copy.jpg

Remove main battery and AC.

Use a small flathead screwdriver to short the 2 contacts.

Passwords are gone.

If STRINGENT SECURITY is enabled this will NOT work.

Let us know if it works for you.

REO

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Used an x-acto knife because the blade is thinner than on a screwdriver. When attempted to short with the screwdriver, the short did not happen because the spacing is extremely small. Accepted as Solution.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

did not work

@REO51ST wrote:

To remove the BIOS passwords you need to short the 2 contacts marked RTC RESET.

Remove the memory cover.

Look for the 2 contacts between wireless card and memory.

P6050019 copy.jpg

Passwords are gone.

If STRINGENT SECURITY is enabled this will NOT work.

Let us know if it works for you.

REO

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

HP Recommended
Used an x-acto knife because the blade is thinner than on a screwdriver. When attempted to short with the screwdriver, the short did not happen because the spacing is extremely small. Accepted as Solution.
HP Recommended

Dear, madam /sir

how to remove power on password on hp 530 laptop

Passwords are gone. 

But password was not gone pls write to me this prob   how to solve

thanks

HP Recommended

Did you try the tip posted right above your post-using x-acto knife to short?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Because we did not have access to a finer point screwdriver, when the x-acto knife fitted between the tiny space, that worked. My brother placed the tip of the x-acto knife a few seconds  a little to one side (left or right) to secure the short. Next, the laptop turned on and the request for a pwd had cleared. The laptop was updated and till this day has not had any problems. My brother learned not to fiddle with the keys anymore to prevent same error or something else to happen. What I learned is that with patient - no rushed positioning of the thin object (x-acto knife)  the short can be completed. I had tried two times with smaller screwdrivers, even the ones used to repair glasses, and still the center point could not be accessed. Since it was my brother's laptop, I asked him to do a last try. After watching the video I had reviewed and viewed where the tool needed to be placed he thought of using the sharp  x-acto knife.

I am not a computer savvy and am a bit apprehensive when it comes to touching the motherboard.

Like I suggested before, do not rush and stay focused on reaching the center of the two tiny connectors (for lack of a better word).

HP Recommended

Thank you,

I managed to use the approach to resett the power-on password and it worked!

HP Recommended
What is meant by 'short' the two contacts?
HP Recommended
Thanks for your this great contribution toword the solve the important hp password on power issues that are main common amongs the hp ussers around the globe I do the prosedures and i Solve these great issues thanks once agains for your me and you succes.
HP Recommended

Here is my successful way to remove/delete/reset the BIOS Password for ...

HP 530 laptop - BIOS PASSWORD REMOVAL

Clearing the BIOS Password
Overview:
follow these steps to clear the password. These steps also clear CMOS:

IMPORTANT - First of all - Disconnect the mains charger/Power Supply and battery power packs.
Then ...
1. Remove the real time clock (RTC) battery, which is on the motherboard
requires base removing to do so requires the screen removing & WiFi/Bluetooth leads disconnecting
- so if you want to take your laptop apart as HP suggest then go ahead, OR ... skip to 1a - easy option
1a - or - Short the 2 mini terminals labelled RTC on the motherboard
(these are inside the RAM cover (undo 1 screw/lift panel) between the RAM slots and the WiFi board)
(some suggest a small screwdriver or X-Short knife, though tweezers are OK)
(or 'U' shaped/bent wire will do - just so each contact is short-circuited)
2. Wait approx. 5 minutes (suggest HP), or just 20 seconds, probably less in reality - so why wait 5 minutes?
3. Replace the RTC battery & reassemble the notebook. if you opted for step 1, or just put the RAM cover back on
4. Do not re-insert the laptop battery pack, but connect AC mains charger/power supply to laptop/notebook.
5. Turn on the laptop/notebook. All passwords and CMOS settings will have been cleared, including time/date.

Power down/switch the laptop/notebook off, then re-insert the battery pack and switch back on to choose your settings in BIOS - F10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.