Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

We are updating all of them to 1.06, I'm still skeptical that they have fixed the issue with the update, only time will tell.

This is leaving a bad taste in my mouth for HP, this shouldn't happen.  

And why is the only way to reset the bios is to open the back up, which is like 10 screws! take like 10 minute to reset a bios, that is not acceptable! 

I thought this new bios was suppose to be more reliable?  

HP Recommended

Agreed^^^

I see no reason for them to have gotten rid of the easy access panel on the back that was present in the G1 and G2s. May I ask what method of imaging you are using? SureStart is blocking two of my methods from even seeing the SSD on the laptops. My ProDesk 400s image fine, so I assume it is the SureStart. It is such a new feature by HP that it doesn't seem to be compatable with anything yet which is a mjor problem as well...

HP Recommended

We use Microsoft Deployment Toolkit for "imaging".  It's really just an install of Windows 10 ver. 1607 from Windows PE, and a task sequence install our software stack and windows updates.  We handle bitlocker encryption (using MS Bitlocker Administration and Management via Group Policy ) and HP Softpaq updates after it's joined to the domain.  Using this process with Bios version 1.06, we've been running fine on our 840 G4s for a week now.  Not one Sure Start issue reported.  I only have about 6 of these deployed right now, so by no means a large sample.  But I'm happy the problem has disappeard in my environment.  :generic:

HP Recommended

Yeah, we ran into this issue too.  Many of the trusted methods of cloning stopped working with this laptop, it is either NVME or their Sure Start.

We went into the bios and disable secure boot and enable legacy booting.

But at least through this ordeal I came out finding a great imaging tool to use.  It is called Clonedeploy.org.  It is open source and it works with this laptop great.  I find that using "On demand" feature to image and deploy the images is the easiest.  Let me know if you need help setting it up, pretty simple.

HP Recommended

I have only glanced at Clonedeploy, but it looks great! Thanks for sharing! I am newer to this company and they have utilized FOG in the past which does not work with these new machines, so I need to get a new solution setup. This looks like a great one to try.

HP Recommended

Has anyone actually found a solution to this? 

We are Imaging with Ghost and boot gets stuck at "Sure Start" Logo Screen or Loop Boot after it pasts the "Sure Start" Logo Screen?

HP Recommended

This happens to us on BIOS upgrade sometimes.  Mostly recently with 1.08.  I've been able to get into setup using the prompt on the surestart screen.  

Enter the BIOS from the surestart screen

Notice that many options are greyed out

Security -> BIOS SureStart

Uncheck "Sure Start BIOS Settings Proection"

Security -> TPM Embedded Security

Clear TPM -> Next reboot (not sure this is necessary)

f10 (save)

Reboot

F1 (Accept changes)

Enter the 4 digit code

Boot normally

Needless to say, this is not a good solution if you have to update hundreds of these.

HP Recommended

This worked for our HP ZBook 15u G4's. https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10

We did not need a recovery disk. 

1) In Windows 10, go to the Win10 Recovery Options control panel by either:

• Start menu > gear/settings icon > Update & Security > Recovery (on the left)
  • Search for Recovery (and click on Recovery) > click on the bottom link "If you are having trouble with your PC..."
  • Search for Recovery Options

2) Under Advanced startup click on Restart now.

3) Then in the recovery options, click Troubleshoot > Advanced > UEFI settings > Restart. 

HP Recommended

You must be having a different problem.  There is no way to get to Windows if SureStart is having issues.  

HP Recommended

Your issue is different.  This is issue wont boot to windows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.