2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP 8470p BIOS Password Reset

HP Recommended
8470p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there,

i just bought a HP 8470p used and it came with a BIOS Password, which i have no way to get. I got a new SSD with WIN 10 installed and everything works so far, but i cannot update to newest BIOS Revision, because i get prompted to put in my BIOS Password.

Is there any way to get the password unlocked?

Thanks for your time 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,216 41,464 4,526 11,884
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, as of the first part of this year, HP has forbidden us to help in any way to bypass BIOS or Operating system passwords.

Enterprise class notebooks, by design, are delivered with very stringent security protection which makes the BIOS password not so simple to bypass.

If I were you, I would ask for my money back, unless the previous owner can provide a working BIOS password.

If you bought the notebook as is, there really isn't anything we can do other than give you advice.

HP would repair it by replacing the system board and that cost would exceed the current value of the notebook

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

#HelpStopTheSpread #Don'tBeAntisocialWearAMask
#PracticeSocialDistancing
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the fast answer,

I heard about HP Support beeing able to send me some kind of .bin file or something, which enables me to reset it.

I totally understand that they do not want you to show me how to bypass it, that´s why I am asking for the official way 🙂

If there is no other way i might have to try a new BIOS chip 😞

Greetings

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,440 23,382 2,155 5,084
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Frajobs 

HP no longer distributes those files -- which were the only way you could reset the password.

You were already told the Official Way by @erico -- replacing the system board, which is very expensive as the password is encoded into the firmware on the chips on that board, and since they are not removable, the entire board then needs to be replaced.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,216 41,464 4,526 11,884
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A new BIOS chip is going to be your only option. 

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

#HelpStopTheSpread #Don'tBeAntisocialWearAMask
#PracticeSocialDistancing
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation