Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
8470p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there,

i just bought a HP 8470p used and it came with a BIOS Password, which i have no way to get. I got a new SSD with WIN 10 installed and everything works so far, but i cannot update to newest BIOS Revision, because i get prompted to put in my BIOS Password.

Is there any way to get the password unlocked?

Thanks for your time 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, as of the first part of this year, HP has forbidden us to help in any way to bypass BIOS or Operating system passwords.

Enterprise class notebooks, by design, are delivered with very stringent security protection which makes the BIOS password not so simple to bypass.

If I were you, I would ask for my money back, unless the previous owner can provide a working BIOS password.

If you bought the notebook as is, there really isn't anything we can do other than give you advice.

HP would repair it by replacing the system board and that cost would exceed the current value of the notebook

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the fast answer,

I heard about HP Support beeing able to send me some kind of .bin file or something, which enables me to reset it.

I totally understand that they do not want you to show me how to bypass it, that´s why I am asking for the official way 🙂

If there is no other way i might have to try a new BIOS chip 😞

Greetings

HP Recommended

@Frajobs 

HP no longer distributes those files -- which were the only way you could reset the password.

You were already told the Official Way by @erico -- replacing the system board, which is very expensive as the password is encoded into the firmware on the chips on that board, and since they are not removable, the entire board then needs to be replaced.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

A new BIOS chip is going to be your only option. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.