Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I don't know why but the USB I am using to transport the program is not showing up when it says select a device. I'm assuming that it mean the USB. Thanks for the correction.

HP Recommended

You can't have the Windows ISO saved on the same usb flash drive you are going to use to make the bootable Windows .It will be formatted during/before Rufus creates the Windows bootable flash drive. The Windows ISO can be saved to a folder on the computer or another usb flash drive or SD card which you will browse to and select it when running Rufus.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

So I've done all the stuff you have said to do and when I select the file it just says the type of the fie next to it. (ISO) So I click the file again and it doesn't open and doesn't do anything. Do I need to click something else or is it just not working? Thanks for the last comment it helped me advace to here. Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

Once the ISO shows in the box there should be a button next to it labeled "Select". Click that to confirm you want to select the ISO. The ISO isn't going to open up-it is simply selected in Rufus.Once you get all of the settings checked you click the button labeled "Start" at bottom of Rufus. The program starts creating the bootable USB flash drive and will tell you when it is finished. You will then boot your laptop from it to install.

Go back to the site with the steps to be sure you are following it:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-burn-an-iso-file-to-a-usb-drive-2619270

HP Recommended

So I'm clicking the start when I select the ISO and it is making a noise and not doing anything. Maybe like I've mentioned they changed something in the ISO? Thanks!

HP Recommended

Once you click Start, Rufus will erase/format the usb flash drive before it begins writing the ISO files to it. The green status bar should slowly start filling on Rufus -above the Start button. This could take 10-15 minutes. The only other obvious signs you will see is the light on your USB drive flashing-if it has one. Rufus simply starts making the bootable drive and will tell you when it is finished.

Look through the guide here-perhaps it is more clearly written. It is using a Windows 10 ISO but the same settings apply for Windows 8 ISO:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support#create_windows1...

HP Recommended

Jus about the same thing. Rufus prompts me to select and no matter what I try to put on it and download to rufus will not open. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

So I have just finished doing all of the stuff you have told me to do on another computer and I am still having the same issues. Any ideas? Thanks for trying to help me through out this problem.

HP Recommended

So to be clear-

1-You have the Windows 8 ISO file downloaded and saved in a folder?

2-You have Rufus downloaded and saved in a folder?

3-You have a usb flash drive inserted in usb port?

4.You start Rufus and select the usb flash drive as device to use?

5-You select the Windows 8 ISO as image to use?

6-after making the other selections according to the guide you click Start at bottom of Rufus?

7- what are you seeing?

HP Recommended

So I have Rufus and I am at the select section and  I select my ISO and it will not open for Rufus. I have everything else. Thanks what should I do?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.