Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook 14-q000ed
Chrome OS

In an attempt to solve the problem of vertical lines on the screen, I removed the border of the screen.
The unexpected strange phenomenon is that my screen works good, i.e. without vertical lines, when the border is removed, but when I have mounted the border again, vertical lines appear. Can you please tell me what's going wrong and how I can repair the screen of my HP14 Cromebook?
kind regards,

HenkFC
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Had you considered using the HDMI port to connect a external display (even an HDTV)  to the Chromebook? By doing that you will be able to isolate the issue to the video output solution or the Chromebook's LCD display.

HDMI port.png

You will also be able to powerwash the Chromebook if you  are able to see a normal browser.

Another option is to create a recovery flashdrive and use it. That is one of the options described on the following Google Chrome web docuument.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595

Take a look at the following HP support web document on display issues to see if the display looks like one of the images. 

http://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/HP-Chromebook-14-q000/5409589/model/6622599/document/c01608578/

Is the Chromebook still in warranty?

Check your warranty status Here.

Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. 

II bought the chromebook 4 years ago and there is no guarantee anymore. Before the problem with the screen there was something else going on. The chromebook did not work anymore and with the help of a recovery USB stick the device could not be recovered.
I ordered a new 16GB SSD for the HP14 Chromebook and after a month this was delivered. (smaller memory capacities are poorly available). I have mounted the SSD. Recovery went smoothly now. Everything worked as usual again.
I have solved the problem with the lines on the screen as follows. The stripes occur because the bottom of the screen edge presses against the screen. I used a few small rubber strips to prevent the edge from snapping at the bottom. There is now no direct contact between the edge and the screen because a slit of approx. 0.5 mm has been created. The small gap is barely noticeable and the screen is free of vertical stripes.

I hope to be able to use my Chromebook for a while.
With best regards,
HenkFC

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.