Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoelGarrett
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Cloud Recovery Tool doesn't recognize my "16GB" USB Drive as able to create the "boot stick"

Z2 Mini G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I follow the instructions included with SP85318 when I run the Cloud Recovery Tool and format what is labeled as being a 16GB USB drive using default allocation size and FAT32 I end up with a drive that reports having about 14.1GB free space and isn't selectable from the menu in the tool as being a target for the install (the darned PDF file included with this SP shows a screen print of just such a drive (14.1 GB Free) being used successfully!  Has something changed with formatting defaults in newer Win10 builds?  Should I be using a different allocation size or format like exFAT or NTFS?  That doesn't seem to help me.

2 REPLIES 2
Level 15
Level 15
18,239 18,184 1,704 3,997
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Cloud Recovery Tool doesn't recognize my "16GB" USB Drive as able to create the "boot stick"

@JoelGarrett 

The different sizes are due to different ways of counting bytes -- the drive will show as 16GB using one method, and about 14GB using the other.  

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
JoelGarrett
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Again, when I insert the "16GB" USB drive in the cloud recovery tool (sp85318) I am prompted to format the drive and when the format is complete, no matter how I try selecting various formatting options I end up with an error saying that the cloud recovery tool failed to repartition the USB drive.  What option/s should I be using to get this to work successfully (device is running Windows 10 enterprise build 18363

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation