Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-da0032wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello...I am searching for help using HP Cloud Recovery Tool. My computer is a HP 15 da0032wm. I have downloaded the tool from the Windows Store as the support page instructs me to do. The USB disk gets made, but fails at verifying the hash content. I have done this about 10 times over the past few days. I purchased a new 64GB SanDisk thinking it may have been the disk bit the new disk did the same thing. I have stopped W Defender and Win Firewall. I have connected directly to the cable modem by ethernet. I have attempted to make the disk in the early morning. I know this model supports Cloud Recovery because in Jan 2019 I was able to make a disk for this system and there were no errors...it completed without issue. That disk got destroyed so that is the reason I am attempting to make another. Could this issue be on HP's end? Does HP only permit you to make that recovery disk once? I know in HP Recovery Manager that restore disks can only be made once. Your help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I have wasted untold amounts of time in this past week trying to get this to work. TU My computer specs> HP laptop 15-daoo32wm/Product#4AK77UA/Win 10 ver 1903 and latest build

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I attempted to create recovery media using the cloud recovery client utility for the 15-da0032wm, and it failed at the exact same place as it did for you.

So, I would have to conclude that there is a problem with the15-da0032wm cloud recovery image, and not a user problem.

What to do about it...

The only suggestion I can offer would be to contact the HP executive team at the link below.

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

I have done this in the past a few times for different problems, and have always gotten a response.

I would report the issue, and copy and paste this forum discussion to your narrative to show that this is not an isolated incident.

You should get an automated response in a couple business days or less, and then someone from HP should reply to the actual issue, and may provide you with a case number.

it may take several business days for the report to be routed to the applicable department that is responsible for creating the cloud recovery images for a response.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

I wouldn't be able to help you with why the cloud recovery client isn't working for you.

I doubt anyone on this forum can.

I suggest you clean install W10 by using the media creation tool to create a bootable W10 USB installer.

You will need access to another working Windows PC to create the installation media and an 8 GB USB flash drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After W10 installs, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-da0000-laptop-pc/20395828/model/22185615

I don't believe that you would be restricted to creating the cloud recovery media one time, because as long as you have the product number and serial number of the qualifying PC, you can create the media on any Windows PC, anywhere.

Since this is a peer to peer forum, we would have no way of knowing if the issue is on HP's end.

I have not seen any posts reporting related issues with the cloud recovery client from any forum members.

The only posts I have seen regarding the cloud recovery client is when someone reports the support page has it listed but it is not supported for their model when they enter the relevant info.

HP Recommended

Actually you did answer to a post with the same exact issue I am having. You stated you went and purchased a 32GB disk, as you didn't own one. I've already used the Windows Media Creation tool, but it is a MAJOR hassle going to HP's downloads and drivers page. Thanks anyways. Hopefully I'll find someone at HP that will at least look at the log files generated.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

This is the post I answered, and I never even got that far into the process of verifying the hash content, so it was not the exact same issue.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/HP-Cloud-Recovery-Tool-Fails-wh...

Regardless of how or where I try to run the HP Cloud Recovery Tool it always fails when downloading/configuring the USB by timing out with an error that says:

Preparing the Drive ScanDisk Extreme USB Device (29.81 GB)...
Do not restart, turn off, disconnect the power cord, or disconnect the system from the Network during recovery drive creation.

"Failed to download image. Please check the network connection and try the recovery process again"

HP Recommended

I didn't say YOU experienced the exact same issue. I think the customer experienced the exact same issue. It does work, because I completed a disk with the tool sometime in Jan or February and experienced no issues. That USB disk got destroyed, hence the need to make another. I'll keep searching, and perhaps they'll update the version of the tool. Perhaps it's a Windows vers 1903 issue, as that version wouldn't have been released back in Jan or Feb of this year. Again thanks for your time.

HP Recommended

I attempted to create recovery media using the cloud recovery client utility for the 15-da0032wm, and it failed at the exact same place as it did for you.

So, I would have to conclude that there is a problem with the15-da0032wm cloud recovery image, and not a user problem.

What to do about it...

The only suggestion I can offer would be to contact the HP executive team at the link below.

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

I have done this in the past a few times for different problems, and have always gotten a response.

I would report the issue, and copy and paste this forum discussion to your narrative to show that this is not an isolated incident.

You should get an automated response in a couple business days or less, and then someone from HP should reply to the actual issue, and may provide you with a case number.

it may take several business days for the report to be routed to the applicable department that is responsible for creating the cloud recovery images for a response.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

I did reach out to HP Support. To make a long story short, HP will send me a USB Recovery disk. Thank you so much for your time and trouble. I really did not expect you to go the extra mile...but you did. Thanks again for all of your help.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance, and I am happy that HP will send you a USB recovery drive 'on the house.'

When I get some time, I may just pick a random PC that is supported by the cloud recovery client utility, and see if I can actually make a working USB recovery drive using the utility.

Not that I would be able to use it, but I would like to see the thing work for once.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul...Sorry to bother you, but I wanted to update you. Yesterday I was able to successfully make a USB Recovery disk using the HP Cloud Recovery tool...after approximately 25+ attempts. I'm fairly sure that what it installed was Win 10 vers 1903, which wasn't even available when I purchased this computer back in Dec 2018. It worked great and I made no adjustments on my end. Just a FYI.

HP Recommended

That is great news.

I found the time the other day, and picked a random PC that was supposed to be supported by the cloud recovery client, and for the first time on the first try, I was able to make a recovery drive for it.

So now I know how the process is supposed to work.

So, I guess it is kind of hit or miss on some models, and hopefully more hit than miss.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.