Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15-ep0500na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After the Windows 10 2004 update, many HP ENVY 15 2020s, including mine, are suffering an issue where, when the laptop is put to sleep, the laptop force shuts down and then reboots, and all work and progress is lost. Event Viewer then reports that there was an unexpected shutdown .

This problem is occurring with many people's HP ENVY 15s, including mine. I have found people complaining about this issue on Reddit, various forums, Stack Exchange, Microsoft Support, Tom's Hardware Forums, and even on HP Community itself.

The issue is almost definitely related to the Intel Watchdog Timer Driver (11.7.0.1000, 9/19/2017, 12:00:00 AM). When updating to Windows 10 2004, the Intel Watchdog Timer Driver is updated to the version aforementioned, causing the sleep issue. People have tried uninstalling the driver, which has solved the issue, but this isn't a permanent fix, and sometimes the driver reinstalls itself, requiring uninstallation over and over again. 

Could HP please provide a fix, or consult Intel for a fix to this annoying, widespread, and potentially disastrous issue?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@VirtualityJP

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is shutting down when you put it to sleep.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp110001-110500/sp110272.exe

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the below steps and test.

Press ‘Win + I’ shortcut keys to open Windows Settings app.

Click on ‘Update & Security’, then go to the ‘Troubleshoot’ section from the left-side menu.

Scroll downwards a bit and click on the ‘Power’ option.

Click on ‘Run the Troubleshooter’. It will start detecting the problems and if it found, go ahead fixing it.

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the below steps.

On your keyboard, press ‘Windows key + R’ and type ‘Powercfg.cpl’ in it.

Hit the ‘Enter’ key to open power options in the control panel.

From the left-hand side, click on ‘Choose what the power buttons do’.

Then, click on the link ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’.

From the bottom given power button options, uncheck the ‘Turn on fast startup’ option.

Click on ‘Save changes’ button.

If the issue persists, follow the below steps.

Go to the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Control panel’ then hit the ‘Enter’ key.

From the top-right filter, choose ‘Large icons’ and navigate to the ‘Power Options’,

Click and open the ‘Power options’.

Select the power plan according to your requirement and click on ‘Change plan settings’.

Click on ‘Change advanced power settings’.

In the power options windows, click on the button ‘Restore plan defaults’.

Click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ button.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for taking the time to actually respond to me, I appreciate it, but please re-read my post, you seem to have not read it properly/misread it.

HP Recommended

@VirtualityJP

I have read your post and I recommend you try the suggested steps and check if it helps.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The recommended steps do not help. As I said, the issue is being caused by the driver mentioned and I would appreciate it if you at least pass this issue onto HP, this issue is affecting many HP ENVY 15 2020's including mine, and HP needs to release a fix for this issue, it cannot be rectified unless you uninstall the Intel Watchdog Timer Driver, which many people are not comfortable with doing, or may not even know how to do it. And anyway, even if you do uninstall it, the driver sometimes reinstalls itself unexpectedly. Could you please pass this issue onto HP and see what they can do?

HP Recommended

@VirtualityJP

I recommend you contact support and they will be able to assist you in this regard.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Thanks!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This should not be marked as a solution, otherwise "call support" would be panacea, and we wouldn't need forums because support is solving everything.  I've called support about my new Envy 15 crash-on-sleep issues multiple times, and they aren't escalating the issue or fixing it.

HP Recommended

I totally agree. I only marked this as the accepted solution because I couldn't be bothered with this anymore, I can't even seem to access HP Support.

FOUR BIOS UPDATES IN, and this issue still hasn't been resolved. For the meanwhile until HP can release a fix, just disable sleep. Also, my laptop is now experiencing ANOTHER issue after the latest BIOS update where it starts to get hot while idle for no reason at all. Ridiculous. Gotta get your game together HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.