Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have upgraded to an SSD and have a USB with Windows 10 installer on it. I cannot for the life of me get the laptop to recognise the usb as a boot device and install windows on the new SSD

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The reason is that the BIOS does not recognize the USB flash drive as being active and bootable.

What software did you use to create the USB Windows 10 installer?

I suggest using RUFUS or SARDU to create a bootable Windows 10 installer. RUFUS is simpler to use.

RUFUS

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

SARDU

http://www.sarducd.it/sardu-multiboot-builder

Is it an MBR or EFI (GPT) volume?

What is the complete product name or product number of your HP notebook?

Look on the bottom for small print that says ProdID. That is the product number.

Calling it an Envy 15 is like going to a parts store and telling them you want brake disks for a Chevrolet.  The employees would  probably look at each other and then nicely (maybe) ask you to be  more specific. 

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by marking that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hey thanks for the reply,

ive used  both of those softwares and no luck with several different USB's.

Ive tried both volumes.

It is a HP ENVY Touchsmart 15 Notebook PC Model 15-J002AX

HP Recommended

OK.

How are you trying to boot from USB?

Kindly describe the method you are using in detail.

Have you verified whether or not the disk is bootable by use of the  command -line DiskPart utility or the Computer Management snap-in?

Did you create an MBR or GPT USB volume?

You should be using a GPT volume.

Does it have a drive letter?

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by marking that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

In the UEFI BIOS i cannot see the USB there as an option to boot from in the selectable devices.

Have you verified whether or not the disk is bootable by use of the  command -line DiskPart utility or the Computer Management snap-in? I am not sure how to do this

I have tried both volumes

I am not sure what a drive letter is

HP Recommended

If you already have a Windows 10 ISO you can follow the tutorial  that provides details on how to create a UEFI USB  flash drive at the following link.  It is well written and has all of the detailed description you will need. It also shows how to use Diskpart to prepare a USB flash drive.

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Creating_Windows_UEFI_Boot-Stick_in_Windows

Once you have created your UEFI USB Windows 10 installer  flash drive with RUFUS,  you can check it by using the Disk Management snapin.  Click on the magnifying glass icon in the systray and type in Diskmgmt.msc . Click on the link that will appear above to invoke the disk mamangement snap-in. I am creating a USB flash drive installer with RUFUS at the moment and will show an image of what it should look like in the Disk Management snap-in.

RUFUS1.pngRUFUS2.png 

The following image is how the usb flash drive I created is seen in the boot options screen of my HP product loan notebook. It is bootable. 20181003_173433.jpg

HP Recommended

My boot menu settingsMy boot menu settingsI have tried all the different combinations of settings i can imagine and followed your instructions for the USB exactly, please tell me what im doing wrong
The boot menu that i getThe boot menu that i get

HP Recommended

Perform the following procedure on a different PC than the notebook

Download Rufus 3.3.1400 and save it to your downloads folder.

Plug an 8-32 GB USB flash drive into an available USB port. ( it can be either a USB 2.3 or 3.0 flash drive)

Select the USB flash drive and select the ISO image of Windows you want to use.

Double click on the Rufus 3.3 executable file.

Now look at the image below and make certain That the partition scheme and Target system show UEFI(non-CSM).

Ensure that file system and cluster size are set as default.  Click in the box next to quick format and  Create extended label and icon files.

You should see Ready in the status notification area .

Click on start and let Rufus create the bootable USB Windows installer.

WinBootableUSB1.png

After it is created, the USB installer should look like the following in the Windows Explorer.

Bootable Windows installer created with RUFUS 3.3Bootable Windows installer created with RUFUS 3.3

IThis is an image of how it should appear in the notebook's Boot Options when you plug it into a USB port press power and immediately tap the F9 key for Boot Options. The USB Hard  Drive (UEFI) - PNY USB 3.0 PMAP is the item I would select to boot to the Windows installer.

WinBootableUSB3.png

HP Recommended

@ynthrepic 

Who are you?

Kindly do not jump into a thread and behave as if you are the original poster.  That confuses the issue and anyone reading the thread. 

Some of your statements lack logic and are completely and technically inaccurate.   Where in the world do you come up with those conclusions?

HP Recommended

If that was the case, then why did you remove what you said?

There is no other reply by you than what you just posted.

I have seen this before from trolls. It must be the case of the disappearing "correct solution". 

It has nothing to do with being high and mighty, which I am not, it has to do with relevance, accuracy, and logic.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.