Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY X 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my brand new HP ENVY X 360 is running hot for no reason, 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@caussie,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues with the computer overheating. I will be glad to assist you here. 🙂

To assist you with clarity, I would require more information regarding this.

• Could you provide me with the exact model of the PC? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

• Did this happen after a power outage or surge?
  • Does the computer freeze lockup or shutdown?
  • Did you perform a bios update on the machine?
  • Does the fan spin at all or if it does is it loud and noisy?

For now please perform all the prescribed steps from this link: HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating

Also, check this link out:  HP Notebook PCs - Why Computers Generate Heat  for further assistance. It has good to know information.

I would suggest here is to update the Bios and Chipset drivers. Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Could you please respond to this post with the details and with the results of the troubleshooting as this will help me in further assisting you.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

my computer is an HP ENVY X 360 CONVERTIBLE 15-cp0 xxx... it is brand new having it only 2 days ago so the answer to all of your other questions is no.

I returned to the shop yesterday where they simply told me its fairly normal... however I have had numerous laptops and they have not run hot until after several years of use.  In fact, that is the reason I bought this one as my Acer was beginning to get hot...I have had the Acer for more than 5 years, taken it all over the world and used it on all types of surfaces....

The only solution seemed to be to sell me a fan thing for the pc to sit on ...however,  I am not interested in buying something I have to attach and carry around for $50.00  in order to rectify something that should not be happening.... At this point I have only just turned the pc on so will take note throughout the day as to when and what I am doing at the time it becomes hot... will update later in the day.  regards

p.s. I have played two games on Facebook for over 10 years  without problems...they are Lost Bubbles and lost Jewels... so I would definitely fit into what I would call "a gamer"

HP Recommended

@caussie,

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. In order to resolve the issue we have to elevate the case to next level, I will share you few details through a private message. (ECR)

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it 

Keep me posted,

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@caussie wrote:

my computer is an HP ENVY X 360 CONVERTIBLE 15-cp0 xxx... it is brand new having it only 2 days ago so the answer to all of your other questions is no.

I returned to the shop yesterday where they simply told me its fairly normal... however I have had numerous laptops and they have not run hot until after several years of use.  In fact, that is the reason I bought this one as my Acer was beginning to get hot...I have had the Acer for more than 5 years, taken it all over the world and used it on all types of surfaces....

The only solution seemed to be to sell me a fan thing for the pc to sit on ...however,  I am not interested in buying something I have to attach and carry around for $50.00  in order to rectify something that should not be happening.... At this point I have only just turned the pc on so will take note throughout the day as to when and what I am doing at the time it becomes hot... will update later in the day.  regards

p.s. I have played two games on Facebook for over 10 years  without problems...they are Lost Bubbles and lost Jewels... so I would definitely fit into what I would call "a gamer"

Hi, were you able to find a solution to your issue?   I just received my Envy 360 today and out of the box, I had the same issue with the fan being extremely loud and the laptop being considerably overheated.  I conducted a bios update and the fan noise is still there but I think I want to return this laptop and have it replaced.  It's ridiculous to have to go through this for a brand new item out of the box.

HP Recommended

In the end, HP sent me back to Harvey Normans to have the computer replaced...Harvey Normans tested everything however could not explain the heating part so they replaced my computer. However, if I play a couple of games on Facebook this one gets hot as well.  When I purchased it I took out a 3 years contract on it so we will see how it progresses...HP were really good when it came to helping me,  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.