Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15m-bq00x
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a HP ENVY x360 laptop about a year ago. Up until a few months ago, everything worked perfectly. Now if I fold my keyboard back, it still functions perfectly as if it was still in desktop mode even though the screen itself automatically still goes to tablet mode.  I've checked and it still says that my keyboard and trackpad should also go into tablet mode, but they don't. The backlight still stays on to prove that the keyboard isn't in tablet mode, but instead still in desktop mode. How do I fix it so the keyboard switches over to tablet mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@slendypigface,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you tried to follow the steps suggested and seems to have some issues don't worry I'll do my best to help you with this.

Solution 5: Press the Windows key + R - On the Run command type in regedit and then click on OK.

Now goto path -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation

Check the value of Enable file if it is 0 rotation will be OFF, if 1 rotation will be ON.

Restart and Auto rotation will work. 

Note: The lock rotation button in display settings will still be disabled

Solution 6

Backup your important data and perform a system recovery to factory settings on your computer by following instructions from this link:  HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery

This should do the trick for you.

Please let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@slendypigface,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand that you have an HP Envy X360 15m-bq00x PC. I read that the laptop keyboard does not switch to tablet mode. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

For better clarity and to assist you correctly, I would require more information regarding this:

• Does the switch between desktop mode and tablet mode work correctly?

To answer your question the tablet mode may get disabled because of an update due to numerous reasons.

• The Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver which is a key driver to keep it enabled and to disable the keyboard may get disabled.
  • The switch from tablet mode to desktop mode may not work correctly after the update sometimes.
  • Also, It would be impossible to pinpoint which update causes this action as it could be a bunch of cumulative updates or one specific update that causes this.
  • Besides these updates which cause this to happen can vary as well.
  • Sometimes it could be that the issue is hardware related, with the sensors not working correctly and the Windows updates could be coincidental.

For now, please try these steps:

Go to control panel

2. Go to Display

3. Go to Adjust Resolution

4. Be sure "Allow the screen to auto-rotate" is CHECKED.

If this does not work then try this link:  HP Notebook PCs - Switching Between Tablet Mode and Desktop Mode (Windows 10)

Also, uninstall the keyboard in device manager and restart the computer.

Solution 1:

The keyboard in Windows 10 has an automatic detector to disable the keyboard and the trackpad as soon as it becomes a 'tablet'. To access it go to the following menu items:
Control panel (NOT SETTINGS) -> Keyboard (use icons) -> Keyboard Lock -> Auto-Lock the keyboard and touchpad (recommended)
You can use these settings to disable the keyboard in tablet mode.

Solution 2:

Some of the users who had the similar issue have mentioned in some forums that the issue is fixed by adjusting the angle of the tablet. When the laptop is rotated sideways it attempts to switch to tablet mode, even when you have not adjusted the screen angle. The sensing is done by an orientation sensor in the base of the laptop, not in the hinges. So, to turn the keyboard back on and to go to laptop mode try tilting the whole laptop towards you slightly and check.

Solution3

• If it does not please perform a complete system recovery again to factory settings.
  • Then install the latest version of HP support assistant.
  • Please perform all Windows update again.
  • Then update the Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver from  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Please run the Intel driver utility and update it from the Intel website.
  • Also, ensure that you have the latest bios update by running HP support assistant.
  • This should do the trick for you if there is no hardware issue with the computer.

Solution 4: 

Go to Device Manager > System devices > Intel Integrated Sensor Solution and ensure that the driver is enabled.

Solution 5:

Goto path -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation

Check the value of Enable file if it is 0 rotation will be OFF, if 1 rotation will be ON.

Solution 6

Backup your important data and perform a system recovery to factory settings on your computer by following instructions from this link:  HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The switch between desktop mode and tablet mode doesn't work correctly as when flipping my screen enough for my laptop to be able to switch into tablet mode, it doesn't do so in any way or form. I can press the tablet mode icon under the notification/action place on my laptop but that only changes the interface on the screen of apps I have open, nothing else, and I have to do that manually.  The rotation lock button is grayed-out for me, stuck on "on". 

I cannot find the location of the keyboard settings mentioned in Solution 1, I have checked both the control panel and the settings. I've tested Solution 2 and that isn't the issue.

For Solution 3, I had previously done a system restart of my PC and this had done nothing to solve my issue.

Solution 4, I don't have that driver at all, and don't konw how to get it. I don't know where it could have gone, considering my laptop's tablet mode did work at one point. 

I don't know how to get to where Solution 5 is, I don't even know how to begin to look for it.

HP Recommended

@slendypigface,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you tried to follow the steps suggested and seems to have some issues don't worry I'll do my best to help you with this.

Solution 5: Press the Windows key + R - On the Run command type in regedit and then click on OK.

Now goto path -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation

Solution 6

Please let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Once I initiated the system recovery, one of the drivers was fixed and it now works. Thank you for your help! Although I do wish this wasn't a problem in the first place, at least it was fixed without me having to buy a new laptop.

HP Recommended

@slendypigface,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

this worked for me. changed the registry value and rebooted. and i had back my tablet mode

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.