Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I would like to press fn and function keys to be able to change brightness, volume and so on. Right now I only have to press F5 to disable the sound for example. In earlier models I could change this in BIOS -  Action Keys Mode, but I can't find it there on this model.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi, you don't have to set Action key mode in BIOS. Just press Fn + Shift key in windows. It will lock the fn key^^

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. We would like to be able to set this automatically during OS installation (OSD via SCCM) so the end users won't have to do it themselves. Having they do it will only result in telephone calls to the Service Desk.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I just thought the "fn lock" is designed just like "numlock" key, which we can lock/unlock the key in the windows any time.

HP Recommended

Yep, and I understand what you mean and from my point there isn't any "issue" so to speak. It is, just as you write, just to enable fn lock key, but our customer need us to explore the possibility to automate this for the end users. Sometimes the answer is "it can't be done" and they have to live with it. 🙂

Thanks for your reply though!

HP Recommended

Oh,, i found the "fn lock" button really hard because I thought it must be in BIOS!

It will be perfect if this can be automated as you say.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for pointing this out. I had an argument with HP support about this because they just stated that they chose to not include this option is newer BIOS versions anymore. They didn't tell me about the Fn lock, however.

I stil think there should be a BIOS option or at least a way to automatically enable this on login, but I can live with doing it manually.

Did someone find a way to automate this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.