Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop - 15t-ep000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, I bought a new HP Envy Laptop in August, and I've been having a strange issue for almost the entire time that I've owned it. When I first received it, the latop's sleep mode worked normally for the first two days. However, after installing several updates for various apps, windows updates, nvidia updates, and so on...I realized that every time I closed my lid, my computer would completely restart. It also happens when you press the sleep button manually. The computer goes to sleep for about one second, and then restarts completely. I've tried all sorts of fixes in the Power mode, various troubleshooters, and even complete system reboot.

Then, I sent the computer to HP for two weeks. When the computer came back, everything had been reset, but the sleep mode worked again for about two weeks.

However, once I installed an optional update in late September, the sleep mode and hibernation mode stopped working again. I was hoping that Windows or HP would release an update to fix the problem, but I can't stand it any more. I know that the issue is not the computer hardware itself because it has worked perfectly during those times before the optional updates were installed.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to avoid updates forever, but I also hate to shut down the computer completely every time I walk away for awhile.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Togusa888 There are a few fixes available to ensure the device goes into sleep mode:

Fix 1 – Power Options

1. Select the “Start” button, then select “Settings” (gear icon).
  2. Select “System“.
  3. Select “Power & sleep“.
  4. Ensure the “Sleep” setting is set to a desired value.
  5. Select “Additional power settings” in the right pane.
  6. Select “Change Plan Settings” next to the option that you have selected.
  7. Select “Change advanced power settings“.
  8. On the “Power Options” screen, you want to expand each setting and ensure that they allow the computer to go to sleep mode. In my case, the setting under “Multimedia settings” > “When sharing media” was set to “Prevent idling to sleep“. I had to set this to “Allow the computer to sleep“. If you’re feeling lazy, just hit the “Restore plan defaults” button and that should toggle all items to where sleeping is allowed in Windows 10.

Fix 2 – Sensitive Mouse

If you have a sensitive mouse, any vibration near your PC could be keeping your machine awake. Try these steps to prevent the mouse from waking your machine.

1. Select the “Start” button, then type “device“.
  2. Open “Device Manager“.
  3. Expand the “Mice and other pointing devices” section.
  4. Right-click on the mouse you are using, then choose “Properties“.
  5. Select the “Power Management” tab.
  6. Uncheck the “Allow this device to wake the computer” box, then select “OK“.

Fix 3 – Network Adapters

These steps are the same as Fix 2, only you’re checking under “Network adapters”.

1. Select the “Start” button, then type “device“.
  2. Open “Device Manager“.
  3. Expand the “Network adapters” section.
  4. Check under each of the options by right-clicking and selecting “Properties“.
  5. Uncheck the “Allow this device to wake the computer” box, then select “OK” for each network card.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the possible fixes, but unfortunately, those ideas aren't working for me. I have a limited number of options in the Power settings compared to what you wrote, and it seems that the mouse or the network adapters is not causing the issue.

HP Recommended

@Togusa888 In that case, please perform a system restore to an earlier date/time it had been working without these issues: click here for steps (remember this does not cause loss of your personal data).

And if that doesn't do the trick, create a new user account profile on windows and check if that works fine,

Keep me posted with the results.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have had the same problem and a system restore did not fix it.

HP Recommended

Hi both,

I seem to have found a fix for now, but it doesn't match with what HP has been telling me. It has nothing to do with system restore or reinstalling Windows.

Actually, there's some problem between the Sleep Mode and the Hibernate mode. If you go into the Advanced Power Settings and click on the drop-down bar for Hibernate mode, it was set to "240 minutes". I changed this setting to "never" and effectively removed hibernate mode as an option.

After that, my sleep mode was functioning normally again. I'm not sure if this is a permanent fix, but I'll reply to this thread if it does.

HP Recommended

@Togusa888 I tried what you described as well as disabling hibernate mode through the command prompt, but that didn't help. Was there anything else you changed?

HP Recommended

Hi again, unfortunately the fix didn't last. The computer restarted again after I closed it before my dinner. When I opened it, it was already restarted again.

I have this one optional download that's been giving my computer problems since August called "Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - Keyboard - Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard for HP Hotkey Support". It won't install correctly, and I'm wondering if the computer is trying to force an update while in Sleep Mode. Since the update isn't working, the computer just decided to reboot suddenly instead. I've tried to hide it from the computer, but I don't know if this is working correctly.

It's just a theory, but I'm really frustrated with this. I always feel like a fix it for a day or two, and it just never stays in sleep mode correctly anymore. Sometimes, it works, but it always eventually reverts back to the same problem.

HP Recommended

I do not believe it has to do with any update since I disabled automatic updates and the problem persisted. Nonetheless, the fix that I have started using is to simply prevent my computer from sleeping altogether in power settings and making it hibernate instead. It is an unsatisfactory fix but it works.

HP Recommended

Hi both,

I think I figured out the problem finally. It seems that my new laptop has an incompatibility issue with the Dropbox app. I didn't have this issue with my old HP laptop, so I didn't think of it. However, I performed a clean boot of my system and went through all of the apps that turn on when my computer restarts. After doing this one by one, I realized that Dropbox was the problem.

Did you have the app too, Skourby?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.