Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy X360

The keyboard was working fine yesterday, but when I opened it a couple of hours after my last use, only the Q, A, Z, D,10 key number pad, and touch pad work. I have tried uninstalling the devices under device manager as the troubleshooter suggested, but it still does not work. My warranty was up the beginning of September (of course), so I am extremely annoyed.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@lulu785 

Driver problems would prevent the whole keyboard from working, not just a few keys.

This issue is most likely a failing hardware problem -- could be the keyboard, could be the membrane underneath it.

Here's some troubleshooting steps you can try: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03738933

If you are experienced at laptop repairs, you can often replace a keyboard for $25 for a new one and a half-hours work. I have done this on older HP laptops.

But, if you're NOT, there is a serious risk of breaking fragile connectors and cables doing this -- so I do not recommend it.

Instead, I would recommend you hunting down a local laptop repair place to have THEM replace the keyboard. Sometimes, on some models, you have to replace the entire top surface of the laptop, not just the keyboard. So you should get an estimate of what is involved before you have the work done.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I switched to my spare laptop for a few days until I could get the laptop looked at, and when I restarted it the keys are now working. Not sure what happened and hopefully it won't happen again!

HP Recommended

I've seen the keyboard stop working following a wakeup sequence on two different x360s. In both cases rebooting fixed the issues. As a further data point, it happened with two different OS's (win10, fedora 33), so its not strictly a windows driver problem (aka its another bios bug) either. This has been reported in the reviews on a couple other sites so its not on common. Although to be clear, in both the cases I saw, none of the keyboard keys appeared to work (leaving only the onscreen keyboard).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.