Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-dw2022np
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have just bought a new laptop HP Pavilion 15-dw2022np, this came without any OS installed, following some of the topics here I manage to get it booting from my USB Flash Drive with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

But during installation when I reach the hard drive selection to install the OS my hard drive is not being detected.

I have tried to select the advance option and with another USB flash drive with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver I chose it and it got installed, but still my hard drive is not showing to install the OS.

Can you please help me to get the OS installed in my laptop.

Thank yoiu in advance.

Best Regards,

Gonçalo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, the only other suggestion I can offer would be to make a bootable W10 installer using the media creation tool from the link below.

Make the 64 bit installation media.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Assuming W10 can find the hard drive...

Select the version you want to install (Pro or Home 64 bit)

When you get to the part of the installation that asks you to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install.

Since you don't have a product key, you will have 30 days to use W10 before you have to buy a key.

You can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP 15-dw2000 Laptop PC series Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi, Gonçalo:

The only Windows OS that is supported on your notebook is W10, and most likely the hard drive can't be found because W8/8.1 does not have the NVMe controller driver needed for Windows to 'see' the NVMe drive.

What I have done is to zip up and attach the Intel NVMe controller driver for the ice lake processor series.

The setup information file indicates that it is good for W8 and newer operating systems.

What you can do is to unzip this file to its folder and copy the folder to your other USB flash drive.

Then do the load driver thing and browse to your flash drive with the below files on it.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver and hopefully Windows will then find the NVMe drive.

This is probably the drive controller it is looking for...

PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0108.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) NVMe Controller"

If this works, figure out a way to connect to the internet and see if you can get the free upgrade from W8.1 to W10.

Click on the blue update now button at the link below.

This link shows that the free upgrade is still available as long as you have a qualifying older version of Windows installed (W7, W8/W8.1).

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot Paul_Tikkanen for your reply.

I have downloaded your zip file and extrat it to my other USB flash drive, but when I go into windows instalation, in the advance options to find a controller and checking the box, it retrieves the driver "Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller (C:\sp101825\F6\iaStorAC.inf)" but when I push proceed I get the an error saying it's not possible to install the controller and is asking to contact my suplier to get an updated controller.

I have followed some of your posts in my previous attempts and tried to install the controller but they all were not able to find my hard drive.

I am a bit lost after all atempts I have done so far and I am not able to get my new laptop to work.

Is there any other solution?

Best regards

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, the only other suggestion I can offer would be to make a bootable W10 installer using the media creation tool from the link below.

Make the 64 bit installation media.

Assuming W10 can find the hard drive...

Select the version you want to install (Pro or Home 64 bit)

When you get to the part of the installation that asks you to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install.

Since you don't have a product key, you will have 30 days to use W10 before you have to buy a key.

You can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP 15-dw2000 Laptop PC series Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Hi Paul and thanks one more time for reply.

I manage to get a boot with Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit and with this one my hard drive is finally detected.

It's sorted now with this windows version, seems just below 8.1 it's not able to detect the hard drive, not sure if this can also be due to my hard drive I just saw it's in GBT and not MBR format.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is great news.  Now you can upgrade to W10 for free from the version of W8.1 you install.

That is easy to fix.  Watch this video...this works for W8.1 too.

Use of Diskpart to Format (Clean) or Wipe (Clean All) Partitions a Drive Before Windows Installation...

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, 

Once again thank you very much for your suggestions.

I wanted the Windows from pt-pt, but unfortunately the official key I have is only for Windows 8 Pro pt-pt which doesn't work since it's not able to detect my hard drive and the other version is 8.1 Pro En-us which is able to detect my hard drive but not in the language I wanted.

So I was made also aware that I can install the Windows 10 pt-pt from the iso from the Microsoft website and place my official key from the Windows 8 pt-pt, so I did that and now I have all working as I wanted.

About the hard drive being in GPT seems this is required if you have the the BIOS with UEFI mode enabled, what I found in Microsoft website:

"Many PCs now include the ability to use the UEFI version of BIOS, which can speed up boot and shutdown times and can provide additional security advantages. To boot your PC in UEFI mode, you'll need to use a drive formatted using the GPT drive format."

So I kept my hard drive in GPT format and the windows 10 install went well without any issue.

So my new laptop is now running fine with Windows 10 pt-pt, using the Windows 8 Pro pt-pt key and hard drive in GPT format.

Thank you for helping me out in getting this sorted.

Best regards and Merry Christmas 

HP Recommended

Anytime glad to have been of assistance.

That is great news that after much effort, you were able to get everything to work.

Merry Christmas to you too, and stay well!

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.