Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-da0032wm 4AK77UA
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hey y'all, I'm in a little jiffy with my laptop now, and need it to get it going again. I updated Windows 10 with an Insider build, it was successfull. I got to use it that day and everything. Once I got home on the next day, I booted it up and it was stuck on the HP loading screen. The wheel was still spinning, so I decided to reboot. That didn't work so I tried to do a Factory Reset. I went into the HP recovery menu and pressed F11 for Windows Recovery. It was still stuck on the HP screen but with the text 'Please wait' at the bottom. I had a USB drive that had the Windows 10 ISO on it and tried to recover that way. Still no luck, same screen. Am I doing something wrong or..? Please, help me asap as I need my cat pics and daily memes. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@LandishVivea 

If this is a PC that you rely on for important stuff, the main thing wrong you are doing is running an Insider build on it!

Insider builds are at best, beta versions and at worst, alpha version, and all the sites that support Insiders clearly indicate this to folks.  It's risky at best, and downright dangerous at worse, to use Insider builds -- unless your using them to experiment on a PC that you don't care about.

Since upgrading an HP PC to Win10 from an older OS is known to corrupt the Recovery information, upgrading it to an Insider build is likely to do much the same -- which is why you should have made an Image Backup before you forced the Insider build onto it.

I'm not clear of the current state of the PC.  You said it's stuck on an HP screen, is that right?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Yes, that's correct. 

HP Recommended

Any chance of recovering? It is still stuck on the HP screen. 

HP Recommended

@LandishVivea 

Since I have absolutely no way to examine the Recovery information for your PC, I have no way of knowing for sure whether or not a Recovery will work -- but based on what you are saying, either that information is corrupted or the hard drive is failing, or both.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below ...
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

Please report back the test results.

HP Recommended

Hello, sorry for not replying for a while. The hard drive test was great, it passed for every objective. Unfortunately though, my BIOS is locked and I can't access those menus. 

HP Recommended

@LandishVivea 

That's not good -- is the BIOS access asking for a password?

HP Recommended

Yes it is, I don't remember the password but it does come up with some other code if entered wrong three times. 

HP Recommended

@LandishVivea 

Then sorry, we can't help you.

I know we used to provide Disabled Bypass Codes -- but we're not allowed to do that anymore.

I wish we could help you, but sorry, due to changes in Community policy, we are no longer able to provide any assistance with password reset or recovery issues.

Also please note that now, to resolve a forgotten BIOS or power-on password issue, since that password is embedded into the firmware of the system board, to replace that, a system board replacement is required -- and additional customer costs apply, and while the costs vary by laptop model, they are generally around $200 USD. HP has issued this post about BIOS passwords: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06368824.

In addition, according to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

For assistance NOW, you have to contact your regional HP Customer Support location directly as they will confirm ownership of the PC before providing any assistance -- something we are not able to do from here.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.