Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15 15-en0008na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm running a NEW hp omen 15 (2020 AMD-RTX 2060 model), only a few months old it crashes constantly to black screens when gaming, and BSOD's when just watching youtube.

Updated all drivers to latest, updated all WIN 10 to latest. Still crashes approx every 15-30 minutes.

AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics 2.90 GHz

16.0 GB (15.4 GB usable)

Windows 10 Home

21H1

Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

The latest crash dump

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\062721-10656-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F6B90)
Bugcheck code: 0xF7 (0xFFFFF8053CC90C60, 0x7A4E2195A4CB, 0xFFFF85B1DE6A5B34, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

It also regularly BSOD's with IRQL-not less than equal and with the above. Whilst gaming it often crashes to a black screen, no error warnings and requires a hard-reset.

PSD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yeah, I wasted two months of updating all drivers, doing UEFI tests, removing the battery, rolling back windows update, and finally completely wiping everything back to factory default, eventually it started crashing every 15 minutes so became a brick. Also the really weak 200watt power adapter would get burning to the touch (dangerously hot), It had multiple hardware problems, due to cheap components.

Eventually I discovered it had a mainboard fault, so I RETURNED IT to amazon and got a 2021 ASUS rog strix, which I've had ZERO issues with. I'll NEVER buy a HP product again. At this price range to be shipping brand new faulty laptops is beyond a joke.

Further more it's obvious they are using cheap components in their laptops when they reach the end of their lifecycle. hence buying a 2020 model OMEN 15 as I did in early 2021 was a BAD IDEA.

As a rule, you can only trust buying gaming laptops on launch, as the manufacturers will make sure to use good components, so they can get good reviews, after that period though they'll start using cheap garbage components to CASH IN.

Greedy HP. terrible broken laptops. never buy again, go asus.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@aie1234, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand the Notebook crashes while using it. Let us try these steps:

Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Also, check for any pending windows update. Reboot the computer. 

Use this page and run a performance tune-up. Follow the steps mentioned in this document - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen

If the issue persists, let us run a test on the hardware components of the PC

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. Perform System Test > Extensive test. Share the result on your next post.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem on my OMEN en00002ax. The drivers are up-to-date (checked using HP Support Assistant), The issue seems to take place only when the laptop is plugged in on charge and not on battery. The laptop passes all UEFI tests and does not throw any errors. The issue seems to occur only on Windows, however, despite a clean install (using HP recovery tool), I still occasionally face this issue and it takes place completely randomly the only thing that's in common between each time that it occurs is that it is plugged on charge. The charger also passes the UEFI adapter tests.

The black screen occurs right after the audio starts lagging and the screen freezes for a second before turning black.

Another thing to note is that if I am using dual monitors, the screen on the laptop goes blank whereas the one on the monitor remains frozen and unresponsive.

HP Recommended

Yeah, I wasted two months of updating all drivers, doing UEFI tests, removing the battery, rolling back windows update, and finally completely wiping everything back to factory default, eventually it started crashing every 15 minutes so became a brick. Also the really weak 200watt power adapter would get burning to the touch (dangerously hot), It had multiple hardware problems, due to cheap components.

Eventually I discovered it had a mainboard fault, so I RETURNED IT to amazon and got a 2021 ASUS rog strix, which I've had ZERO issues with. I'll NEVER buy a HP product again. At this price range to be shipping brand new faulty laptops is beyond a joke.

Further more it's obvious they are using cheap components in their laptops when they reach the end of their lifecycle. hence buying a 2020 model OMEN 15 as I did in early 2021 was a BAD IDEA.

As a rule, you can only trust buying gaming laptops on launch, as the manufacturers will make sure to use good components, so they can get good reviews, after that period though they'll start using cheap garbage components to CASH IN.

Greedy HP. terrible broken laptops. never buy again, go asus.

HP Recommended

If it's a mainboard problem I am screwed, I am out of warranty and ironically mine was purchased around launch.. although my issues aren't as bad as yours it still black screens every two day or so after audio stutters and screen freezes.. used to get constant BSODs too but they stopped after I reinstalled windows

Could you confirm if yours crashed/black screened even while UEFI testing?
Also, whether it occurred only when on charge?

HP Recommended

When I first got it, it would BSOD maybe once per day. Then it just got progressively worse, until eventually it would BSOD every 15 minutes, I uninstalled literally every third party driver to try to find the problem, then wasted hours doing UEFI tests, which all returned nothing. Finally I reset the laptop to factory settings and wiped all the hard-drives, and it STILL crashed every 15 minutes, so yeah for me the mainboard was broken. I scoured the internet fr months for a solution only to find one other post on here where the guy returned his, and they told him it was a mainboard fault.

Basically it's not worth the hassle, just return it and buy an ASUS. I lost weeks of work trying to fix the hardware issue, which cost me alot of money, do you think HP is going to refund that? ofc not.

To answer your questions, it would crash plugged in with battery, so then i removed the battery and it would still crash. Never tried it on battery alone as that would defeat the point of a work machine.

It never crashed during the boot UEFI testing. But eventually it started crashing every 15 minutes like I said so, whatever the hardware issue was it got progressively worse.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.