Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Whilst working the computer froze. I removed the battery to switch of.

When switching on the next time I got a message "scanning and repairing hard drive".

This progressed to 9% and then made no further progress. After 10 hours I finally removed the battery again as there was no other way to do this.

What can i do to revert to correct operation'/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Try a Hard Reset as follows.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for a full minute.  Plug in the AC Adapter ( leave the battery out for the moment ) and see if the notebook will start.

If it doesnt load,

Please perform the Steps as shown below:-

1. Please "Turn OFF" the Notebook

2. "Power ON" the Notebook and keep tapping the Escape Key during the start up to enter the Start-up Menu

3. Now here, Please select the BIOS option [F10] and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab

4. You should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Disk Drive and Memory

Note: Please perform these two tests and post back with the details of any error messages

Please click the below shown link to find the steps for performing Hard Drive Test

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&​lc=en&docname=c00439024

OR

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&​lc=en&docname=c01443317

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Try a Hard Reset as follows.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for a full minute.  Plug in the AC Adapter ( leave the battery out for the moment ) and see if the notebook will start.

If it doesnt load,

Please perform the Steps as shown below:-

1. Please "Turn OFF" the Notebook

2. "Power ON" the Notebook and keep tapping the Escape Key during the start up to enter the Start-up Menu

3. Now here, Please select the BIOS option [F10] and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab

4. You should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Disk Drive and Memory

Note: Please perform these two tests and post back with the details of any error messages

Please click the below shown link to find the steps for performing Hard Drive Test

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&​lc=en&docname=c00439024

OR

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&​lc=en&docname=c01443317

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice. I am advised that the Hard Drive short DST is failed. The product number ID is F5C42EA#ABU.

Is this something I can do?

Thanks

K-V-B

HP Recommended

Whenever the Hard Disk Short DST test fails that indicates that the Hard Disk Drive has failed and that requires a replacement to resolve the issue

This issue could be due to Application or driver conflicts, virus issues, file corruptions due to incompatible applications, improper shutdowns, update failures due to conflicts, sudden power surges, if notebook is dropped etc..

HP will provide a replacement Hard Disk Drive if the Notebook warranty is Active, If not you need buy a SATA Hard Disk Drive from a retail shop nearby

Contact HP

Check your warranty Here

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

pen or  touch input

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.