Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15 notebook C8P48AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Simple Pass fingerprint reader has stopped working. I used to be greeted by a flashing reader LED. That no nonger happens. Suggestions for restoring functionality, please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI @vdolcourt,

Thank you for your query.

I grasp that you fingerprint reader was functioning fine but has suddenly stopped.

Did you make any software or hardware changes since it was working? Have you done all your Windows updates?

Do you have the latest validity sensor driver installed.The  HP Support Assistant  can assist you with that process.  Here is a link to   HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader (Windows 😎. The steps should be the same for Windows 10.    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver?

Looking forward to your update.

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HI @vdolcourt,

Thank you for your query.

I grasp that you fingerprint reader was functioning fine but has suddenly stopped.

Did you make any software or hardware changes since it was working? Have you done all your Windows updates?

Do you have the latest validity sensor driver installed.The  HP Support Assistant  can assist you with that process.  Here is a link to   HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader (Windows 😎. The steps should be the same for Windows 10.    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver?

Looking forward to your update.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Sparkle,

Thank you for both the quick reply and the suggestions.

The bottom line is that I re-installed the HP Support assistant, it called for a re-boot, and after the reboot, the LED on the fingerprint reader started flashing again. It recognized my fingerprint. I was then able to call-up apps by swiping my finger across the reader.

Here are the answers to the questions you asked:

"Did you make any software or hardware changes since it was working?" Not knowingly.

"Have you done all your Windows updates?" Yes, I accept auto-updating so that I don't miss any.

"Do you have the latest validity sensor driver installed." Not certain.

"The  HP Support Assistant  can assist you with that process." Apparently it did without me knowing about it. I both ran the existing support assistant and then launched the download. I now have the latest version.

"  Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver?" Happily, it doesn't look like I need to.

Lets mark this inquiry closed with a successful outcome. The next cold boot will be the acid test. If there is a problem, Ill be back.

Thank you again.

HP Recommended

Hi @vdolcourt,

Thank you for keeping me updated.

If after the next cold boot the issue remains resolved and you feel my post helped you to the solution, please be kind enough to mark the post as "Accepted Solution", to help other posters and visitors, who may have the same difficulty.  To say thanks for helping please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below.

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.