Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-inch (2017)
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have recently bought the latest version of the HP Spectre x360 (Ash Silver) with 1TB SSD, UHD 13,3inch screen, 16GB of RAM and Intel HD Graphics 620. It has a Intel Core i7-7500U dual core processor.

After using it for about 1-2 weeks now, I have noticed that the laptop gets very hot (especially the base and the part near the power button / USB port). The part near the keyboard stays ok, but the heat near the screen and at the bottom of the laptop doesn't seem normal. The fans on the left side and bottom of the device also seem to make a lot of noise, even when barely running any applications or performing any tasks.

I ran a couple of third party apps to try and determine the temperature. The CPU temperatures stay at about 45-55°C when idle (CPU usage shown in Task Manager is between 0 and 5%). When running Outlook and playing a YouTube the temperature shoots up to 80-95°C (CPU usage of 50%) and stays there. I am no computer expert, but to me this seems way too high.

The fan noise isn't too bad, but I didn't expect any laptop to be this loud when performing basis tasks (browsing, word processing). The temperatures, however, worry me. I can't put the laptop on my lap because after a minute of working it gets too hot to continue going.

I was wondering if this is a known/common problem with HP and whether anyone else is experiencing the same issues with the HP Spectre x360 (2017)?

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi @Whitehouse13,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I reviewed your post regarding the computer overheating. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To assist you with clarity, I would require more information regarding this.

• Did this happen after a power outage or surge?
  • Does the computer freeze lockup or shutdown?
  • Did you perform a bios update on the machine?
  • Does the fan spin at all or if it does is it loud and noisy?

For now, please perform all the prescribed steps from this link for overheating issues.

Also please take appropriate measures to reduce heat inside the computer from this link that helps to reduce heat.

Please update the bios and chipset drivers from this link after selecting the correct operating system.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps.

Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to try Using HP CoolSense technology

Place the notebook in a cooler room

You could also try testing for hardware failure. If the hardware has failed, capture the failure ID and revert for further assistance.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP CoolSence could not be installed on my HP Spectre 13-AC036NG...I am just wondering, because my Sprectre is the newest version and it should have all necessary sensors on board.

Or is there any workarround possible to sucessfully install coolsense on the spectre x360?

HP Recommended

i am having the same problem. in addition to the extrememly loud fan noise, i have terrible battery life. The fan noise is so loud that i cannot concentrate on anything else.  

HP tech support updated the BIOS remotely, but aside from that could not do anything more than suggest I send the computer back to the factory for repair. 

This is unacceptable. 

I need my computer for work. If I cannot work, I cannot pay my bills. I cannot afford to be without a computer for 10 days. 

I ask you HP, what can you do here?  I chose your product over a macbook and I'm regretting that decision with every battery percent that drops.  

I am very upset. 

HP Recommended

I have been in touch with HP Support and they have just replaced mine with a new HP Spectre x360. It has just arrived, so I will give an update once I've had the chance to test and use it.

HP Recommended

@Whitehouse13 wrote:

I have been in touch with HP Support and they have just replaced mine with a new HP Spectre x360. It has just arrived, so I will give an update once I've had the chance to test and use it.

How has your replacement been? Did it resolve the heat issue?

HP Recommended

what was the problem with your laptop that they accepted to replace yours??

what was everything with the new one??

HP Recommended

In my case, the issue was that Windows Update was malfunctioning and using up a lot of the CPU (specifically, the "Windows Modules Installer Worker" process)

I was able to fix the issue (battery drain, loud fan and overheating) by doing the following:

• Updated BIOS to the latest version (from the HP support website)
  • Changed my Wi-Fi connection to a metered connection so that Windows Update won't automatically update (warning: your PC may be less protected with this option since you have to update manually)
  • Turned off HP Cool Control (search for Cool Control in the start bar)
  • Uninstalled a lot of HP bloatware

My battery life was significantly improved after these steps and the laptop no longer makes blowdryer noises!

HP Recommended
I've updated BIOS and chipset driver. What "bloatware" did you get rid of?
HP Recommended

I had the exact same issue as you. Called HP, they had me download the BIOS, still buzzed and now they're sending me a box to return it to them so they can fix it. Has yours already been returned? How is it working now? I'm thinking of maybe returning mine instead of sending it in, as I still have a week to return it.

Please let me know. Thanks so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.