Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

EDIT: My laptop is a HP Spectre x360 - 15t-ch000 CTO  (HP Spectre x36015t Touch, 4K UHD, i7-8705G, Radeon 4GB RX Vega, 512B SSD, 16GB RAM, Win 10 Pro)

After several hours on the phone or in chat with HP support, now they want me to send the laptop back to them for repair. The reason is that it will not install the downloaded recovery image which came FROM HP.  After trying it several times they sent me a USB stick (which they did not ship when promised) with the supposedly correct image to recover from.  Of course, it failed just like the multiple downloads.  Now they think that there is a hardware failure in my laptop.  I would think so too but I can install 1803 just fine from a Windows USB stick from Microsoft.  No issues whatsoever.  Just another example of how HP can't find their backside with both hands, they can't even send a recovery media that works.  

I'm loath to send the laptop to them, once its opened up providence only knows what I'll get back, not to mention that they say it will take 10 business days (like I believe them).  So far, they have stalled me for just over 7 weeks going back and forth.  I'm just about as frustrated as I have ever been with a computer company and I'm a network engineer so that is saying something. Frustrated is the wrong word, angry is closer, but still not strong enough.

Last night I logged in to the regular support page and it showed a link to HP Products Tested with Windows 10 which does NOT include the HP Spectre x360 - 15t-ch0xx (that I could find anyway, that page is a mess just like everything else HP is doing recently).  Basically, this $1800 laptop purchased 6 months ago is not going to be supported for the new version of Windows 10 when Windows 10 was sold with the laptop knowing that Microsoft updates twice a year!. Brilliant! 

Here is my favorite quote from that page: 

"Any PC product that is not listed in the Windows 10 October 2018 Update table was not tested by HP for this update and may not be supported by HP for Windows 10"

Yeah, ok, "favorite" was sarcastic...

Last night. after a fresh install of Windows 10 1803 from a Microsoft USB stick, I went in and turned on the fast ring of the Windows Insider Preview and installed the latest build of Windows 10 19H1 (Insider Preview Build 18298). Same result. It can't finish the install. 19H1 is the next version of Windows after 1809 so I don't see this laptop getting feature updates going forward.  Awesome!! I could really use a boat anchor if only I had a boat...  I shouldn't complain though since I might still get security fixes...

I've asked for a manger to call me back at least twice.  They won't even get on the phone with me.  As angry as I am, I've been civil and patient in every conversation with the support agents, but I would LOVE to vent the anger on a manager at HP.  I guess I don't blame them for being afraid to call back. I've spoken with several support agents that have really tried hard to fix this and a few that just wanted to get off the phone as fast as they possible could.  Terrible customer experience, HP should be ashamed of themselves.

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

@Dls22000

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Support Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hence my feedback to them:-

HP Spectre x360 - 15-ch008tx (Touchscreen) - still cannot install Windows 10 1809 on this piece of overpriced junk.
Not likely to recommend HP to a friend, family member or colleague.
Likely to go out of my way to advise a friend, family member or colleague not to buy anything HP.

HP Recommended

Extremely dissapointed with HP.

@Cheron-Z

Any chance you could pass along the info of others in this thread with this issue. The problem obviously affects multiple people with HP Spectre laptops.

HP Recommended

Seems that HP is like Android phones: sell it and forget it (and never see any kind of update)

Still waiting for updated drivers for HD630 & RX Vega (Spectre X360-15) which are back from January/February 2018. Intel have published newer versions long ago and are now moving to "DCH" drivers that will install as Apps. Beta drivers are available on INTEL support pages but they recommend to wait for the PC manufacturer to provide custom drivers. 

Still hoping that HP will adopt these newer drivers and (together with Microsoft) make updating to Windows 10 1809 possible. 

Other PC/Laptop manufacturers have successfully managed to keep their drivers up-to-date. F.e. INTEL NUC and Microsoft Surface Book are on Windows 1809 (Build 17763.194 now) since the first release of the update. 

Come on HP. You can do it, too!

HP Recommended

Cheron-Z

Please add me to the list of people who can't install the 1809 update.  Actually, it appears to install, but on the reboot, it hangs and I'm forced to do a hard reset.  Machine is HP Spectre x360 convertible - 15t-ch000, product 2FW62AV.  

Intel (Kaby Lake H) i7-8705G (3.1 - 4.1 GHz, 8MB Cache, 4 Core, + Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics (4GB GDDR)
16 GB DDR$-2400 SDRAM (2x8 GB), 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (Toshiba), 15.6" diagonal 4K IPS, Intel 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo. 
For what this 7 month old machine cost, I should not be having these issues.  

HP Spectre x360 convertible - 15t-ch000 CTO, product 2FW62AV. Intel (Kaby Lake H) i7-8705G (3.1 - 4.1 GHz, 8MB Cache, 4 Core, + Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics (4GB GDDR)16 GB DDRS-2400 SDRAM , 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (Toshiba), 15.6 4K IPS, Intel 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo. Windows 10 Pro
HP Recommended

Dis22000

I have been to the HP Support website, entered in my product and serial number and found that there are quite a few drivers and software updates listed there including a BIOS update.  I was a bit surprised at how many I found since I thought HP Support Assistant was supposed to keep me updated (7-month-old machine).  I was two versions behind on the BIOS which I'm wondering how yours is doing.  I'm about to delete the Support Assistant since it doesn't seem to be doing its job.   I am now methodically going through the listing and updating my machine.  Something else, I actually found a couple of items that were actually more current on my machine then are listed there.  I have no idea when or how they got installed or by whom.  MS may be through Windows Update??  

HP Spectre x360 convertible - 15t-ch000 CTO, product 2FW62AV. Intel (Kaby Lake H) i7-8705G (3.1 - 4.1 GHz, 8MB Cache, 4 Core, + Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics (4GB GDDR)16 GB DDRS-2400 SDRAM , 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (Toshiba), 15.6 4K IPS, Intel 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo. Windows 10 Pro
HP Recommended

Cheron-Z

Please also add me to the list of people who can't install the 1809 update. I have tried several times over the past two months. I have tried both an upgrade from 1803 and a clean install of 1809, in both situations it gets stuck on the HP logo on boot. For the clean install I then had to use the UEFI recovery to factory reset my laptop, and for the upgrade, i am greeted with the windows has rolled back after a failed update. It gives me the error message of, 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 : the installation failed in thesafe os phase with an error during boot operation.  I have all of the lates drivers on my Laptop as well.

My laptop is HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch0xx, product 2FW62AV,  Intel (Kaby Lake H) i7-8705G (3.1 - 4.1 GHz, 8MB Cache, 4 Core, + Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics (4GB GDDR) 16 GB DDR$-2400 SDRAM (2x8 GB), 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (Toshiba), 15.6" diagonal 4K IPS, Intel 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo. 

According to https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05195282 HP has tested this update with this model. I am very disappointed with this issue on a premium laptop. I never had any problems like this on mid-tier laptops, even when i was running the bleeding edge windows insiders builds. Now my almost $2000 v HP laptop that is 6 months old cant even update to the latest Windows OS.

HP Recommended

@Nova38

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Any word on a BIOS/microcode update to fix this? I have a week left to return this thing. Not keeping a brand new device with no support for current operating system.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.