Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13 4193nr Energy Star
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Spectre x360 x360 13 4193nr Energy Star. In 2018 I performed my first factory reset with a recovery media created using HP media creator and everything went smoothly.. Early 2019, I had to perform 1 again and it went according to plan. In August of 2019 I had to restore my computer again but this time the recovery did not go through. 

The recovery went through installing Windows, applications and drivers but the BIOS installation in the recovery did not go through. At the time I had updated to the latest BIOS when it came out 2 weeks prior. I did manage to allow the setup to bypass the BIOS installation, but the system installed did not match the factory configuration for my specific model. 

I contacted HP multiple times but was told either the device was programmed not to accept older versions of Windows that is no longer supported and  to having to replace the motherboard.  I live in a country where there is no official HP service centre or authorised repair shops and off-course motherboard repairs are almost the cost of a brand new device. 

in January 2020 another BIOS came out and again did not help the issue. A few months after I noticed that the trackpad was bulging a bit, in addition to that the device would have occasional disconnection of WIFI and Bluetooth, graphics/display glitches and some unresponsive keyboard input. 

I did some research and turned out that a bulging trackpad on my device primarily indicates a swolen battery. 

Although all diagnostic tests on my device passed, can a bad battery be causing all of these issues? 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@danielsookoo 

I didn't see WHY you felt is necessary to do a factory reset every year on your laptop.  This is a very risk procedure as it relies entirely on the integrity of the HP recovery partition, and if that gets corrupted, which it CAN, that will trash your PC and render it useless!  If you are doing this to  "clean up" your PC, there are much safer ways of doing this.

As to the battery situation, I think you mean "swollen" battery -- and in that case, if it gets bad enough it could put pressure on the motherboard and crack it -- but that would stop your laptop from working at all.

As to the older version of Window comment, that could be the case -- but we need to know what version you are running.  If you don't know this and can boot into a Windows desktop, then enter "winver" (without the quotes) in the search area and tell us what it displays.

We can proceed when you provide the information.
Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood

Not every year, just those specified times. The laptop was manufactured in late 2015 so it originally came with the original release of Windows 10. I can however reinstall that version and get Windows updates etc from a generic cope of Windows( one with just windows and no apps or drivers built in), that version of Windows 10 is 1507.

The reason I first had to recover the system was that I had a virus issue and I had to reset the PC. At that time I was running Windows 10 1809 and when I reset the PC, I don't no what happened but there were some system errors like the default background changed, start menu and title bar colours were not displaying as it should. Then can Windows 1909 and the same thing happened only this time I upgraded my PC. 

Regarding the recovery partition, my system does not have a separate or independent recovery partition, it just uses the one built into Windows so I had to call HP and they gave me the tool to create my own recovery on a USB, I had at first thought the recovery had gotten corrupted so I was sent a new USB recovery and the new USB was also not being able to successfully install. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.