Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I am also having same experience with my HP Spectre Laptop puchased few weeks agao. Please post the solution on teh forum so that all can benefit. Thansk

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@PradeepAgal

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 laptop and the touchpad is not working correctly.  I read that the touchpad movement is erratic and unresponsive. Not to worry, I'll d my best to help.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• The exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • When was the last time touchpad worked fine and did any software changes take place on the laptop after which it stopped working?
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps yet? If yes, what steps were they?
  • Does an external mouse (if available) work fine when connected to the laptop?

Meanwhile, I did some research on this issue and suggest you to perform the following troubleshooting steps:

• Let us run the hardware test first.
  • Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the Mouse/Touchpad - There are 2 mouse tests to determine if the mouse is functioning correctly - the Pointer Test and the Drag and Drop Test. Click Mouse/Touchpad, then select the test you want to run and follow the instructions.
    NOTE: If you have connected an external USB mouse then please disconnect it before initiating the test on the touchpad.

If the test on the touchpad passes then please refer to this HP Document to solve touchpad related issues. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi ,

Thanks for details steps to test the touchpad, I did run the test as suggested by you and Touchpad/Mouse test failed saying 'Right Button'.

The failure Id is : PLVB22-8HW8K5-MFPUQ1-G4CHO3. I ran the test again and same result with a the failure Id is : PLVB22-8HW8K5-MFPUQ1-G1W903.

My problem is not yet resolved.

To answer specific questions you asked:

1. Product Name: HP SPECTREx360 Convertible 15-bloxx

Product No.: Z4Z35UA#ABA

1. Touchpad works fine for say 5-10 mts sometime after a restart then starts behaving erratically
  2. When the cursor gets stuck or disappear, if I go to sleep mode and come back, it starts working. I also observed that if I use touchscreen, then also it starts working.
  3. Yes: Contacted Local HP Support and an engineer remotely reinstalled an updated driver (6.2.1.0) but problem is still there, it may take a little more time to surface.
  4. I don’t have an external mouse to try but as I said if I use touch screen, it starts working again
  5. Some of the touchpad functions never works properly like when I want to mark out text, it will partially mark out and not the entire text I want to mark. 

I also wants to mention that I had one other problem too, that is when I connected small 32GB pendrive to USB port it worked but when I connected 1TB hard disk to USB port, it will not recognise. However HP Engineer remotely connected and remove some systems partition (Z:) and I started working. I am not sure if removing helped or what as he tried many things including registry, it is working.

YES in two weeks of use I had 2 problems and twice HP engineer remotely tried to help. One of the problem is resolved but 2nd is still not resolved.

The disappointment is more because I bought best of the best laptop, top end of the laptop from HP at a premium.

Appreciate a quick resolution to my problem.

Thanks & Best Regards

HP Recommended

@PradeepAgal

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any.  
You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).  

Response times may vary by region. Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

HP Recommended

Hello- I have an HP x360 2-1 convertible (13-AC00xx), purchased approx. 2 months ago (latest model), with the same problem.

Trackpad pointer/mouse:

1. Periodically freezes

2. Erratic movement

3. Requires either reboot, induced sleep mode, or using the touchscreen

4. Freezes in standard Windows desktop and when running apps, such as Excel and Office.

I'm fully up to date on all software drivers (6.2.20 on the trackpad), and have run the BIOS tests, all pass with no errors.

Any updates from HP or other user fixes?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@sbay10

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand your HP Spectre x360 has issues with the Touchpad/Trackpad,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Which test did you run under BIOS?

Did you perform the interactive touchpad test using F2 diagnostics tool?

Did you check with an alternate/external mouse to check if it works?

While you respond to that, here's a few things you can try:

Attempt using an alternate/external mouse. 

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your mouse: 

Go to the Device Manager and select your mouse. Uninstall it and then restart your computer. During restart, your mouse driver will automatically be reinstalled. 

• 1.   Click on Start and type ‘Device Manager’. 

• 2.   Click Device Manager. 

• 3.   Click + sign next to Mouse. 

• 4.   Right-click on mouse entry and choose "uninstall". 

• 5.   Restart your computer.

Use this link to know about Testing for Hardware Failures: Click here using the HP Diagnostics tool.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks. I ran:

1. Mouse/Touchpad test (as indicated above). Passed.

In fact, I ran most of the tests above (Keyboard, USB port, etc), all passed.

2. Bluetooth and USB mouse devices all (eventually become erratic).

3. I've attempted various other trial/error "fixes", such as disabling bluetooth, wifi, ac power in/out, or anything else that might cause electrical interference.

4. Yes, one of the first attempts to correct was to remove/reinstall the mouse driver. (which btw- defaults to a driver dated 9/23/16, 19.3.11.41). The latest driver appears to be dated 12/20/16 19.3.11.45).

Rather frustrating, I like the form factor, convertible, port options, etc., however, it becomes quite challenging to use on a daily basis, particulary in Excel and Outlook.

Same problem.

HP Recommended

@sbay10

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I appreciate the details, however, you seem to have missed out on a few others steps I suggested that pertains to checking in the BIOS screen if the mouse works without the flaky/erratic movement and also if an external mouse works fine?

That said, if the alternate/external device is working but the touchpad isn't, considering all the steps you've done so far, it's best you Contact HP for a hardware repair/replacement of the malfunctioning parts.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again for the info. Sorry I was not clear before:

1. I used two seperate external Logitech Mouse devices (transceiver plugs into the USB port), and also a Microsoft Arc Touch mouse. Same results (erratic, freezing, etc).

2. With respect to the BIOS test, when I ran the Mouse/Trackpad tests (and other tests), I also ran the Drag/Drop tests, etc. Within Drag/Drop test, the trackpad appears to work with no issues.  However, the same holds true when I initially power up to Windows 10 - meaning it appears to work with no issues, then after a random amount of time, becomes problematic.

I appreciate your follow-up/input, and I will contact HP Technical Support.

Regards,

Sbay10.

HP Recommended

@sbay10

Thank you for replying with this clarification 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

If the touchpad worked fine while testing on BIOS and outside windows, the issue occurs with an alternate mouse as well, this is not a hardware issue, I request you to create a new user account and check if it makes any difference,

If the issue persists, you may want to reinstall the windows using the HP recovery manager: Click here for details to resolve this issue as it could be either a corrupt user profile or a corrupted OS.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.