Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My HP Stream Laptop will not update Windows/Ten because not enough hard drive space.  I deleted everything except the operating system, but tell me not enough space to update Windows/Ten.  SSD is only 32 gb.

Can you add additional hard drive space or what can I do to get the latest

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you want, you could do this....

Clean install W10 by using the media creation tool at the link below to create an 8 GB USB flash drive installer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you get to the part of the installation process where you are asked 'Where do you want to install Windows, delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space. 

Then click Next, and install Windows.

After W10 installs, you can install the available drivers and software from your specific Stream notebook's support page.

I agree with you...I have no idea how you can manage space with only 32 GB of storage.

I have an 11 inch HP Stream Pro G4 and it came with a 64 GB drive and that is barely enough space.

After I installed Office 2019, and a couple of other programs, I only have 23 GB remaining.

Plus I have all of my files saved on a 64 GB micro SD card, and not on the operating drive.

I clean installed W10 on the drive.

But anyway, by clean installing W10 you will have the maximum amount of possible space on the 32 GB drive, for a couple of programs.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

Run the disk cleanup utility.

When it gets to the disk cleanup window, click on the cleanup system files button on the lower left side of the window.

The utility will run again, and when it gets to the window, check all of the boxes to delete files.

Some of those old windows update files take up several GB of space.

HP Recommended

I did disk cleanup and removed everything including previous operating system and updates, temp files, etc.... Ran defrag,  Ran disk cleanup again and deleted a couple more items.  Ran defrag again, but when you try to install Windows Ten updates I still get a  message that  I don't have enough hard drive space to install the Microsoft Windows Ten updates.  This is a nice laptop but they only put a 32 SSD storage and you can not do anything.  Shame on HP for selling such a nice laptop and at a good price, but you can't really use it for anything......……………….

HP Recommended

If you want, you could do this....

Clean install W10 by using the media creation tool at the link below to create an 8 GB USB flash drive installer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you get to the part of the installation process where you are asked 'Where do you want to install Windows, delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space. 

Then click Next, and install Windows.

After W10 installs, you can install the available drivers and software from your specific Stream notebook's support page.

I agree with you...I have no idea how you can manage space with only 32 GB of storage.

I have an 11 inch HP Stream Pro G4 and it came with a 64 GB drive and that is barely enough space.

After I installed Office 2019, and a couple of other programs, I only have 23 GB remaining.

Plus I have all of my files saved on a 64 GB micro SD card, and not on the operating drive.

I clean installed W10 on the drive.

But anyway, by clean installing W10 you will have the maximum amount of possible space on the 32 GB drive, for a couple of programs.

HP Recommended

I shall give this a try and let you know the results.

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

YES  I was able to get my laptop updated.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Still can't believe that HP wouldn't offer to upgrade these 32 gb SSD hard drive laptops. Guess I should have bought a Dell!

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

When I tried to run the installer from the USB drive, it didn't show me the partitions, it just told me I didn't have enough space. I don't have the confidence to delete everything on the virtual drive, so maybe I'll have to put up with the problem..

Technomaniac
HP Recommended

In my case, the windows media creator never gives me the option to pick the flash drive, and simply returns that there isn't enough space on the hard drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.