Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
i5-CX0999a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am experiencing the issue where the machine does not boot and cannot recover itself.

I purchased the USB System Recovery software and I have followed the instructions but all I get is '[startnet] Error, Get failure from Dynamic Recovery Tool.

Can anyone help or do I have to apply for my money back? I might add that the robot support thing was particularly useless.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

I suggest you contact HP by phone and request a refund for the non-working recovery media.

Contact HP - Phone Assist | HP® United Kingdom

Call the number listed for Computing Products for Home.

See if you can reinstall W10 by making a bootable USB W10 installation flash drive using the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from the support page below...

HP Pavilion Gaming 15-cx0000 Laptop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

You can also use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with the notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility.  This would be very much like the recovery media you paid for, so it may not work, but you never know.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for the reply.

Unfortunately, anything that requires downloading and creating recovery media is not available to me. This is a work PC and I cannot write to external drives or USB.

I have tried a bootable W10 USB (from another source) but it is so far unsuccessful.

I bought the recovery media on USB from HP (just shy of 62 pounds)j but so far it has proved useless.

There is no executable on the drive, so I cannot run anything from a command prompt.

Honestly, I'm at my wits end. 

There is an additional wrinkle in that the drives appear to be Optane and I may lose all of my files on the HDD if I install a new SDD.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have resolved my issue.

After a couple of days of BIOS fiddling, partition deleting, formatting, anything to try and get the machine to a state where I could just install windows, I bought a new SSD (250Gb to replace the 16Gb that was factory installed).

I tried to install windows 10 from a USB to this drive but it didn't work. Cue hair being torn out.

As a desperate last resort, I stuck the HP recovery stick into the machine and tried again. Bing bloody go!!!

It worked a treat. Happily, all of my formatting and partition shenanigans didn't remove the recovery partition and it went through like magic! (I guess you can sense my happiness at this).

Luckily I didn't flash the BIOS (which was my next move) because the windows key is apparently embedded there.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help. All good now after some updates and OneDrive restorations.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you were able to get your PC working again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.