Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Envy Touchsmart 17 notebook product number E1P14AV model 17t-j100.

I'm trying to restore to factory using USB but keep getting restore incomplete. I have tried every method from HP recovery method and all three give the same response. It goes through everything and reloads software but then gives that response. If i click try again it tells me to insert recovery media.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try changing the date in BIOS to 1/01/2012. Save & Exit. Boot from Recovery and let it run through the process- but on the first reboot it initiates enter BIOS to ensure date is still modified. If so let Recovery resume-if not change it again then resume.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Try changing the date in BIOS to 1/01/2012. Save & Exit. Boot from Recovery and let it run through the process- but on the first reboot it initiates enter BIOS to ensure date is still modified. If so let Recovery resume-if not change it again then resume.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Attempted changing the BIOS date as described and rechecked at first reboot.  Still got "Restoration Incomplete" at end of process.

HP Recommended

This is a thread from just a few days ago you may want to read...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Recovery/Detect-some-error-during-PININST-BBV/td-p/4345734/pag...

I have an envy ts 15 J003cl/  bought near the same time as this fellow and had same issue completing a factory restore, changing the bios date to  2012, save and boot from the recovery device (mine being an HP recovery flash drive) was what worked for me also. 

As you were instructed, machine is off, insert the recovery drive. Power on tapping the esc key  or the F10 method to enter bios. Change the system date, the guy in the above used 08/14/2012, I did my restore on 01/03/2015 so i just backed the year to make it 01/03/2012. Save and exit, and boot to that drive.

After 30-40 minutes the prompt will come up to insert any supplimental disk if provided by HP,  press the Skip button and the next screen describes the next process of installing the software.  At this point make sure to pull out the flash drive or usb DVD drive if installing from an external and click continue.  On this reboot is where you want to hit the esc button to enter the bios again and be sure the date you changed is still, so long as it's not reset back to the current date (ie todays date) hit the esc and exit with out changes to continue- you should be good to go and get a completed restore, mine took a total of 3 1/2 hours to complete.

Hope this will help, not trying to step on any expert's toes here. I was frustrated for nearly a month over this issue and if it saves someone else time and grief by sharing it's worth it

HP Recommended

He is risen indeed!

Forogt to put more details about my specific computer:

HP Envy Touchsmart 17

Model: m7-j020dx

Product: E4S19UA#ABA

I have been attempting to restore/recover using the factory recovery image on the HDD.

I have attempted now 3 times.  The last time I tried using the information about reseting the date in the BIOS and rechecking at the first reboot.

Here is a photo log of the process.  Please advise if I am doing something wrong.

14.jpg

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

HP Recommended

4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

HP Recommended

8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg10.jpg

HP Recommended

11.jpg

Below is the log file information when I hit the details button on the "Restoration Incomplete" window.

12.jpg

HP Recommended

Indeed, amen to that War_eagle,

Hey, I'm what they call around here a noobie not an expert but after dozens of failed attempts ending with that same log file screen. No answers as to why from tech support so did some reading here on this forum digging for a solution then finally had success I wanted to share and help,  I feel for you n looks like your doing as it is supposed to go.

One thing ypu might try is doing a hard reset... unplug the power, pull the battery and press n hold the power button for 20-30 seconds. Put battery back, plug in and restart, go into bios again and use the (setup defaults F9 I think) save and restart, go to bios again to change the date or make sure its back to before your (born on date) is the day you first powered up your computer and should be listed a couple lines below the system date if your bios shows that like mine does.   Mine was 12/29/2013 so I changed the current system year date to 2012. Re-run the factory restore.

I had done at least 3 bios updates by the the time I began having issues and needed to restore just a month and a half ago.

Thats the only other thing I can recall doing before my last attempt that worked.... give it a go,  wish you success

HP Recommended

That was the missing piece!!!  F9 on Bios!!!!   THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.... I was about to scrap it and get an old copy of Windows 7.  Have a great weekend and a great Lord's Day brother.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.