Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
C2M42UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop has been having a starting issue after the windows system was updated. The problem is that it always goes to a starting state (the screen is dark but saw rotating dots) but it never comes to windows 10 main window. 

I went through system check indicating the battery needed to be replaced. I ordered a battery from HP , part number 593553-001. I plugged it in but the problem remains. I went through the system check and no problem was found. 

I did refreshing but it showed there was problem and could not refresh. But it didn’t give details of what was wrong.

some time back before this latest starting problem. I was able to overcome this issue by pressing both windows key and f10 key at the same time right after HP sign showed up. But it is not working any more. 

I dont hope to completely wipe out my system and install everything from scratch. I have my files saved on my laptop and I don’t want to lose them.

how can I start my laptop successfully? Can anyone help me please?

thanks in advance 

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@Tony1180

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. I came across your post and would like to assist.

I understand that you have an HP 2000-2b89WM Notebook with Win10. I read that the laptop does not boot to Windows desktop screen successfully. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

The evidence indicates that this is an operating system issue as of now because this issue started after a recent Windows update. 

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

Please perform a Microsoft System Restore to rollback the laptop to an earlier date when everything worked fine. This will not delete your data. The steps mentioned under "Restore your computer when Windows cannot start normally" from this HP document should help.

If the issue persists then please perform a Microsoft Push Button reset by following the steps mentioned under "Performing a push-button reset through Windows Recovery Environment" from this HP document. The Microsoft Push Button Reset repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This can be done either while preserving your personal data and customizations, or removing all your personal data.

If the above steps do not work out then let us run a hard drive test on the laptop. It will test the hard drive and report out the results like it did for the battery. In case there is a failure with the hard drive then it needs to be replaced and it was the root cause of the issue. You could contact our HP phone support team to check the available service options for your laptop.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Feel free to keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi,

Thank you very much for helping me out with my laptop starting problem. It has been bothering me for almost 3 weeks. So appreciated you were willing to help.

i followed the 1st step in your recommendations. After I did all those steps I then powered on my laptop and first it showed a message of hitting any key to skip hard disk check, I didn’t do anything.  So it started to scan and repair drive (C). It was showing 100% completed, but still not starting normally, as shown below. Should I let my laptop continue to run like that or anything else I can do?

Thanks again.

F65F5E48-4B9C-451F-914B-006B25E4E90E.jpeg

HP Recommended

@Tony1180

You're most welcome. 

Good that you let the hard disk check complete. However, if the laptop is not booting further into Windows, then press and hold the power button to power it off and then restart it. 

If the laptop still does not boot into Windows then please perform the steps from my previous post which are to perform a Microsoft System Restore and if the problem continues, a Microsoft Push button reset.

Finally, you could run a hard drive test to confirm that the hard drive is good. You need to run the test only when the above steps fail to fix the issue. Below mentioned are the steps to run the hard drive tests:

• Power off the laptop.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

• On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

• The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Figure : Sample list of Component Tests

Sample List of the Component tests

• Hard Drive/Storage Tests - There are six hard drive tests, and they can take from 10 minutes to 2 hours or more to complete.

Hope this works out. Let me know. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help.

I have tried both restore and reset options. None of them worked. 

For the restore option, only windows 10 was available and further no points were available to restore from. Likely those old points got corrupted. 

For the reset option, there were no two options available for me to choose if I want to keep my files or have them to be removed. It directly went to the step of removing all my files and restore to the default system. I didn’t go to that step being afraid of losing all my files. So I returned to the main windows. 

I have not done components tests as suggested by you today. There are two things I want to mention: 1, I did components tests right after I installed the new battery and all tests were passed. But I will plan to test them again after I complete 2 (following). 2, when I played around I plugged in one USB, and one window popped up where I could see different hard drives there. I could see some of my files there and wanted to save them into my USB. There are lots of files, especially on ‘Desktop’ where I put almost all my files. Right now I am saving them and it is taking a while to complete. 

I also can see the recovery disk stored in C drive that was created by HP. But I have used it before and don’t know how to use it. From these information is there any helpful information you can see that may help me?

thanks so much again. 

By the way, I hope to talk to someone like you from HP directly so as to resolve my problem faster. Could you please provide a support telephone? I couldn’t find it on website.

HP Recommended

@Tony1180

You're most welcome and thank you for your kind words. 

Sure, you may perform the hard drive test once you have the time. 

Secondly, if the hard drive is good, you may perform a system recovery using the recovery partition on the hard drive. There is no restriction on the number of times the recovery partition can be used to reinstall Windows. Doing this will install the factory image of Windows. I see that your laptop originally came with Win8. 

You may perform a system recovery by following the steps mentioned under "Performing system recovery on notebook PCs 2014 and newer (white background) >> Recovery when Windows 8 does not start correctly" from this HP document.

Secondly, you may reach phone support via this link: www.hp.com/contacthp

In case you're unable to reach the phone support team then let me know your country of residence.

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi,

Thank you so much again for your generous help. First time I have ever had such nice help. So appreciated it!

I live in northwest of Washington state in US. Tonight I will be traveling and so will not have time to do those steps you recommended. But I will check them out tomorrow after I arrive.  I will update how it will go then.

Thank you so much again.

HP Recommended

Hi! @Tony1180, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you won't be able to try out the steps today.

Sure you can take your time and try out the steps. If you have any queries you can always write back to us.

Also, if the issue persists after trying out the steps try changing the boot option in BIOS.

Go to system configuration tab in BIOS, select boot options and change the settings to secure boot from the list.

Press F10 save changes and exit.

Let me know if how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Mr. Robot,

Thank you very much for your time in providing helpful suggestions to my issue.  So appreciated it!

Due to the holiday travel, I didn't have time until yesterday to come back to my laptop issue. I did run the extensive hardware check which took more than 4 hours and the check passed. After the check I exited the interface and the Windows rebooted. Surprisingly it successfully booted to Windows 7 (not 8, I don't know why?).  The only difference between this time and the previous many tries is the internet network. The current nextwork is the network I had been using most of the past couple of years while the network that I have been having windows start problem is the new network that I have recently switch to my own modem-wifi router instead of renting the one from the internet provider.  The new network is the one I have been using in Washington state. And the time when I switched the router modem just coincided when the old battery was replaced with the new battery. Because I couldn't boot my laptop so I could not set up my wifi using my laptop but used my IPAD. So I don't know if the network was the reason I could not boot my laptop. 

As mentioned above, even though it booted to Windows 7 when I used my old internet (in another state but not in Washingto state), I still don't know why it could boot successfully but not when I was doing this in Washington state. I am not sure if I can reboot my lapton afer I go back to Washington state after the new year of 2018. 

As explained above, my laptop booted to Windows 7 but not 8 from the original package. But my laptop automatically downloaded the Window 10 update assistant and has updated it to Window 10. One issue I have seen about it was that the download was completed yesterday but I found it was downloading it again after I logged in today. I don't know why it keeps downloading. 

Also I'd like to create a backup or recover so that I can recover from this when I have a rebooting issue in the future. I tried to increate a recover into a USB but found that this was not allowed. Please provide me suggestions to how I can create recovery or backup in case  I need it. 

Thank you so much again.

HP Recommended

@Tony1180

You're most welcome and thank you for your kind words. 

You've been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills, remarkable patience and great attitude. Kudos to you for that.

Your HP 2000-2b89WM Notebook originally came with Win8. Even I'm clueless on how it has loaded Win7.

You may definitely create the recovery media, but it is possible to create the recovery media only on the original operating system that came with the laptop. If this is a retail version of Win7 then it will not let you create the recovery media and the option to create the recovery media will be absent. 

Secondly, the laptop could be doing further update on Win10 after it upgraded to Win10. Therefore it might have looked as though the Win10 upgrade is still going on. 

Below mentioned are the steps to create the recovery media:

Hope this helps. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.