Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Mini 5101
Microsoft Windows XP

I have ran all the Diagnostics in the "blue screen" menu, if you can't tell I'm not the best computer guy.. Just kinda learn as I go, It says in the bottom it had XP home edition, but cant seem to figure out how to put a new os on a usb flash drive I have. (16 G)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Something is wrong with the PC...messed up BIOS, bad motherboard...whatever controls the booting function is kaput.

It should just automatically boot from the USB flash drive just like it did on your W10 PC.

I have booted from plenty of DVD's and flash drives with no OS on the hard drive.

Never had a problem but once, and like you, try as I might, I could not get any device to boot.

I removed the hard drive, installed windows on it from a similar model PC that had no problem booting from a CD (Windows XP), put the hard drive back in the PC and it booted to the hard drive and ran windows just fine.

It just wouldn't boot from a CD/DVD or flash drive.

Sorry, but I don't think anyone will be able to help you with this one.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I would happily use Ubuntu on it, just can't figure out how to get it from my PC To the Mini via flash drive.  Or a safe place to download Ubuntu.. lol I've always used windows, but am open to other things just to be able to use the Mini. 

HP Recommended

I downloaded ubuntu on my flash drive in an iso format... I selected boot option during startup and it took me to a command prompt screen.. Again, i've never had any education on computers.. I'm just kinda figuring this out as I go.. Can someone please help me with this? I have a ton of laptops that I could get going again once I learn how to do this. Thanks to anyone willing to throw me  a line. 

HP Recommended

Hi:

I take it you used this method to create a bootable Ubuntu ISO installation flash drive?

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

Some folks just think you download an operating system ISO file and copy it to a flash drive, and that doesn't work.

If you know you made the bootable ISO file correctly, next, check the user guide, chapter 11, page 97 to make sure you have the boot options settings set to allow booting from a USB device.

If you have done all of that and nothing works, then I suspect there is some kind of motherboard issue.

HP Recommended

Cool, thanks.. I'll do that, worse case scenario I'll have to pay someone to fix it. lol just trying to avoid that though. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Ok yeah, its all set up to boot from the flash drive.. But instead of getting non system disk screen, it takes me to a prompt screen... But everything I type in there doesn't do anything. 

HP Recommended

OK, and you are sure you made the bootable ubuntu flash drive correctly?

Did you check to make sure it worked in another PC?

HP Recommended

Ok, I'll get back to it, and let you know.. Thanks again for the help. 

HP Recommended

Yeah it works in my PC... But my PC runs windows 10, the Mini has no OS, someone ran disk sanitizer on it.. It just boots up to the non system disk screen... And with the flash drive takes me to a command prompt for ubuntu.  Thats where my knowledge ends. I don't even know what to do in a command prompt screen. lol

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.