Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 450 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

the HP support assistant  is supposed to make a check of the available drivers update and give us the possibility to upgrade.

I've noticed that, just for example, my HP ProBook 450 G6:

- HP support Assistant: BIOS version 01.09.01 Rev.A, 

- "PC software and driver download" is available BIOS update version 01.10.00 Rev.A  (that seems to solve some issue that I'm currently having with a dell dock)

but the update is not proposed by the HP support assistant. And it is not the only case. For example:

Intel bluetooth drivers:

- HP support assistant installed vers. 21.20.0.4 Rev.A

- PC software and driver download 2 more recent updates: 21.30.0.5 Rev.A and 21.60.0.4 Rev.A

Is this a flaw of HP support assistant (thus almost useless)? The new driver can or even should be installed manually?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

HP Support Assistant is installed on many computers worldwide and it can provide updates to them.

• Considering the fact that these updates can be installed automatically or semi-automatically, it is of extreme importance what exactly gets installed (especially if it is installed automatically).

Any sort of a new code, new program, new BIOS version, new driver version is considered somewhat risky, just because it has not been tested or many many devices. Similar to what prevents scientists now to develop vaccine or medications to treat any sort of a virus/pathogen.

It is not that the new driver or the new BIOS version is 100% unstable. However, it is new and even though it has been tested and checked, there is still no 100% guarantee. More time is needed just like with anything new.

But if you manually go to certain website, manually download the file, manually run it, manually agree to install it, the user takes this risk on their own and is considered that he/she is somewhat aware of potential benefits or issues. However, if the average user gets an automatic message that something is pushed, they would trust the vendor (HP) to have tested this on many many computers and the update to be 100% trustworthy.

So, only time and amount will prove when an update will be pushed.
If you are an advanced user and technically savvy, HP Support Assistant may not be 'The Application' for you - you may only use it as a reference - not your one and only app.

Most people (50%+) do not need to have their BIOS or drivers updated , or updated often - that often that these to pushed ASAP after official release.

I hope this helps and answers your question 🙂

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello,

HP Support Assistant is installed on many computers worldwide and it can provide updates to them.

• Considering the fact that these updates can be installed automatically or semi-automatically, it is of extreme importance what exactly gets installed (especially if it is installed automatically).

Any sort of a new code, new program, new BIOS version, new driver version is considered somewhat risky, just because it has not been tested or many many devices. Similar to what prevents scientists now to develop vaccine or medications to treat any sort of a virus/pathogen.

It is not that the new driver or the new BIOS version is 100% unstable. However, it is new and even though it has been tested and checked, there is still no 100% guarantee. More time is needed just like with anything new.

But if you manually go to certain website, manually download the file, manually run it, manually agree to install it, the user takes this risk on their own and is considered that he/she is somewhat aware of potential benefits or issues. However, if the average user gets an automatic message that something is pushed, they would trust the vendor (HP) to have tested this on many many computers and the update to be 100% trustworthy.

So, only time and amount will prove when an update will be pushed.
If you are an advanced user and technically savvy, HP Support Assistant may not be 'The Application' for you - you may only use it as a reference - not your one and only app.

Most people (50%+) do not need to have their BIOS or drivers updated , or updated often - that often that these to pushed ASAP after official release.

I hope this helps and answers your question 🙂

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thank for the suggestion. what you wrote is "reasonable". But in many years of Dell workstation I've never seen a similar behaviour. When a new driver were realased, it was already tested (or supposed to be), recomended and automatically or semi automatically installed.

The drivers "not 100%" trustworthy should be, in my opinion, marked as "beta". In this way aby confusion would be avoided.

For future uses, I always keep track of the drivers on my PCs, and always save a copy in case of fresh system reinstall. But may be I'm too old. I've always benn used to buy a good PC and maintain it, update, upgrade...

Nowadays it seems to me that it is safer to by a "normal" and inexpensive pc and change it every year or 2...

Thank you again

Sergio

HP Recommended

You are welcome, Sergio.

Stay safe and healthy 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.