Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion

My HP Pavilion failed the Hard Disk Test with failure ID: UAP71G-6KGA29-MFPWW1-60R503

How do I repair that error?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

The error code reported, Hard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure, means the hard drive needs to be replaced and the operating system reinstalled.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03721290

If you let me know what operating system you were running on it, I will give you a free way to reinstall windows (8.1 or W10).

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.

That document was very handy. 

I have removed the hard drive and ordered a new one. 

I will accept this answer as a solution once it is reinstated and the laptop is up amd running again. If it does not work we can work out the next step and keep the process allocated to this one question.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The disk will not have an operating system on it, so you will need to reinstall windows.

However, there should be no failure code appearing anymore when you turn on the notebook.

HP Recommended

I have successfully installed a new hard drive now.

Please help me install an operating system from here.

HP Recommended

What operating system do you need to reinstall?

W8.1 or W10?

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

You can reinstall W10 by making a bootable W10 installation flash drive using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.

I have managed to get as far as downloading the new Windows 10 onto a USB and installing it on the laptop, however now the laptop will not actually start up properly.

There are options for troubleshooting why Windows isn't starting properly. Any advice for this matter please?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with why Windows isn't working properly.

With a new hard drive and a clean install of W10, all you should have had to do was install the drivers and software required after W10 had completed installing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.